Shim slx shifters with sram gx RD

Hi all

I am buying a 2017 spec jumpy and noticed the standard gx shifters have been replaced with slx. All other parts are still sram. 10 speed setup

Will this be an issue with shifting?

Thanks

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited January 2022
    Maybe we are missing an obscure fact but as it is I tend to agree that that combo doesn't or shouldn't work regarding their different pull ratios.

I'd be asking at what point have the shifters been changed and has it been tested?

I don't even reckon it would work on a workstand let alone on the trails under normal riding conditions.🤔
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 848
    this is what i read on some forums - but most involved mixing 9/10 or 11 speed. Im struggling to find an answer for this setup.In the road bike world, you can't and never would mix sram with shimano but not so sure here.
    He said it was like this when he bought it off a friend 4 years ago and has been fine
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited January 2022
    I agree. Apparently it's now okay with some 12speed stuff or at least not enough to make a noticable difference to mix and match like that.

Seems much the same rules apply for both road and mountain bikes then.

I guess it wouldn't put me off buying if it's being used successfully but it would have me puzzled and wondering how it all shifts.

That's a weird one and not found anything with a search to back up or confirm that combo works. 🤔
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Depending on what exact parts are fitted, the pull ratios can be quite close. This setup might 'work', but it's not going to be as good as it could be. If the rest of the bike is good, Sram 10 speed shifters aren't too expensive. For example, if you have both front and rear mechs, this set is £62: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-gx-2x10-speed-trigger-shifter-set. Alternatively you could change it to Shimano mechs depending on what shifters are on there.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 848
    thanks and that's a good point, not too expensive if I did find the ratios were out and annoying me.