Deore LX crankset - replace or keep???

Hi guys,
I just wanted to ask if you would keep or replace a 2009 Deore LX chainset (3 rings) or replace it?
I'd prefer to go 1x12, but not sure if it can be done.
My bike is a 2009 Gary Fisher HIFI in medium.
Would anyone know which replacement crankset and 1x12 set would work straight out of the box?

Cheers
Jason
Devon

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited January 2022
    Yes, it's doable. An older thread here that popped up in the search:-

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/1x-drivetrain-conversion-to-2009-gary-fisher-hifi-pro-fs-bike.1102882/

I would swap out the crankset for a newer Hollowtech II external bb and a matching 1x crankset (probably a Non Boost for a better chainline) then purchase a suitable narrow-wide chainring.

Going 12speed does add more things you'll need to be aware of, main issue being cassette/freehub compatibility.

A 12speed, out of the box, ready to fit would be a Sram Eagle SX or the higher up NX groupset which include HG compatible cassettes to fit a stock/standard Shimano freehub.

There are other 12speed cassettes available that will work okay with any 12speed Shimano or Sram shifter/derailleur combo but would obviously then be a seperate groupset component buy.

A lot less hassle and a more simple swap would be an older 10 or 11speed upgrade, you'll still get a clutched derailleur and wide range cassette, even if it's not quite a 50t+ big cog.

Alternatively there's always something like this groupset (or others mentioned in the thread linked above) which all get great reviews and aimed at a very easy, straightforward upgrade for similar 3x set ups like yours so at least worth a look:-

https://www.microshift.com/products/groups/advent-x/

• That's fantastic. Really grateful. I'll certainly look into that then.
    cheers
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Hey no worries, you're welcome! 🙂

Lots of good 1x options out there, happy upgrading! 😎👍