Watching the Tour

Circumstances mean I may have a spare week this summer, during which I may be able to go and watch the Tour.

Ideally, I'd like to go to a stage or two in the Alps or Pyrenees. And take my bike, for obvious reasons - I've never ridden a proper mountain.

However, I have limited experience of this, and would probably travel solo, 'cos no mates...Any tips for getting there (drive vs fly vs train), accommodation, etc? Budget isn't unlimited but I'm prepared to pay reasonable money - but not private jet money, IYKWIM.

All advice, etc welcomed.

TIA

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• It's easy enough to drive and stay in Air BnBs.

I went for the first time in 2018 and drove to col D'aspin from which Tourmalet is an easy enough ride away (albeit the less nice side). Peyresourde also not far, Portes du Bales also nearbyish.

We then drove to Ventoux, staying outside Bedouin to do Cingles, and on the way home, spent 2 days in Reims riding around Champagne.

It's actually pretty easy once you get planning. It's just a long slog in the car - worth stopping overnight unless you have a banging 20 hour playlist
  • If you are feeling a bit flush, I'd consider these guys https://pyreneesmultisport.com/tours/tour-de-france-2022/

I've been on a couple of tours with them a few years ago, and would imagine this would be a great way to spend a week.
  • I've always driven to the Alps or the Pyrenees, but I was sharing the driving. We reckoned on about 20 hours from Manchester to Briancon, just one proper stop in France to eat some decent food and stock up on wine for the evening. The advantage is that you can take all your toys without worrying about them getting damaged or lost, however it would be a tough drive solo. Saying that my old boss used to drive to Spain non-stop so it is doable but I certainly couldn't do it. We always caught a late ferry or chunnel around midnight and drove straight through arriving about 4.00 pm, but I suppose if you could grab 3 hours kip in your car once in France you should make it through the day.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    Guy I know deliberately takes the longer ferry from Southampton (?).
    As he can take it overnight it means he gets a kip without the hotel.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931
    pblakeney said:

Portsmouth.
    Dangerous game confusing the two. They really don't like each other!
    One port can result in getting to France or Spain, the other the Isle of Wight!

When I did my ski seasons I did a fair number of journeys solo or with one other in the mini bus from UK to France or back. Seem to recall 16 hours Meribel to Chelmsford being typical, including Dover- Calais ferry.

Calais to Meribel in a decent car should be c9 hours tops.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931
    If going solo, I'd look to stay with a company offering a package. It will mean you being able to ride supported which is no bad thing in the high mountains.

Decide whether you want to go Alps or Pyrenees first of all.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    The 5th and 6th of July is near Calais and on to Lille and a bit of Belgium, so you could start there. The 8th is a Friday finishing at La Planche des Belle Filles, which is 620 km from Calais. Alpe d'Huez is on Bastille Day, 14th July, which will be pretty special.
    I drive from Brighton to near Pescara in Italy in the summer (Covid permitting) it usually takes 20 hours driving each way. Wifey doesn't drive, so although I can't say I look forward to it, it isn't the same as driving around the M25 for that length of time. We break it up with 2 or even 3 stops en route, it's a really nice way to see France - or Belgium and Luxembourg and Germany.
    You can get some real bargains on Airbnb, but I suspect any accomadation near the Tour will increase massively.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789

pblakeney said:

Portsmouth.
    Thanks for the correction.
    I knew not to trust a 6 year old memory. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Thanks for the advice. Interesting most are suggesting driving! Back when kids were little, the (now) ex and I used to go on hols in the Lot region, stopping at friends nr Paris en route. So I have memories of glorious French motorways!
    TBH, flying doesn't appeal, risk to bike, etc. But...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    If you fly, you either have to plan meticulously so you don't need to hire a car...or you have to hire a car...
    Driving yourself gives you more choices, imho. You can take all the crap you need, and stuff you don't. You can change your mind about where you go, what you do, where you stay. Airbnbs have some fantastic, quirky places, way better than a run of the mill hotel.
  • secretsam said:

Thanks for the advice. Interesting most are suggesting driving! Back when kids were little, the (now) ex and I used to go on hols in the Lot region, stopping at friends nr Paris en route. So I have memories of glorious French motorways!
    TBH, flying doesn't appeal, risk to bike, etc. But...

The advantage flying has is that on my last trip I left home at 8am and rode up and down Luz Ardiden the same day.
  • Likewise. I did Aspin and Tourmalet on the same day as my flight.
  • gavinbay
    gavinbay Posts: 144
    I live in Serre Chevalier, and this year is a big one for us with the TDF & the Etape du Tour.

For the first time since 1968 they race up and finish on my local "hill" the Col du Granon and that would be an excellent place to watch it.

I cycled up it on Sunday, though had to walk the last 300m over snow, and they are already preparing the road, as there's a lot to do to the surface.

There's more here on the Granon and all you need to know about the Galibier here.

I drive back n'forth to England abut 4 times a year, it's not a big deal, plus I often travel with three dogs, Calais to Serre Che is circa 9hrs, though does depend on number and length of stops.

It's great here in the Summer with loads to do and not just cycling, and great for families.

So feel free to ask any questions, and here is a link to all the bike rides if you base yourself around here
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,388
    edited June 2022
    I have driven down to south of France a couple of times before and it is a loooong slog!

Have you considered the train? Recently went to Paris on Eurostar and it was frankly a joy. If (if) you can take a bike on the Eurostar and on connecting trains to Alps/Pyrenees, the cost versus the cost of petrol could be attractive too.

Perhaps Eurostar and an an Interail pass would be a good idea.

** Edit - just researched and Eurostar doesn't allow bikes so scratch that!
    Wilier Izoard XP