thursday it's pineapples all the way down

13»

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,608
    oxoman said:

Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

I don't have a mancave I have a workshop / shed apparently. I wouldn't worry about MF Stevo as he's bogging off somewhere warm probably without mancaves.

I thought he might be off to look for people who live in real caves like those al qaeda blokes.
    He might be casing up for a hideout for a certain Randy Andy and Boris the bogladite and I have to say Stevo your mezz hideout would do them till things calm down. Suspect queenie might pay you well.
    They'll have to share with one of the MFs. Could be a good little earner though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh yeah, and if they still do it, fly BA via Shannon Airport. Clear US customs at Shannon and waltz through JFK as a domestic arrival, no queues.

The flights are booked already, and I do like a direct flight, though the entry queues into US are horrid. The upgrade from club to 1st on the return leg was £50 pp apparently. I'm quite sure I can drink that in super premium bubbly.
    That's very good value, although is that an overnight flight? Might reduce drinking time.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited January 2022
    I'd mug off NY at the mo' just because all USAnians have been loonier than normal over the past few years.

Mog isn't too bad compared to Alsager tbh.

But I'm with H3 overall - somewhere warm, chilled, hut on a beach so you step out an into the sea, hammock ready.....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh yeah, and if they still do it, fly BA via Shannon Airport. Clear US customs at Shannon and waltz through JFK as a domestic arrival, no queues.

The flights are booked already, and I do like a direct flight, though the entry queues into US are horrid. The upgrade from club to 1st on the return leg was £50 pp apparently. I'm quite sure I can drink that in super premium bubbly.
    That's very good value, although is that an overnight flight? Might reduce drinking time.
    Yep. I felt short changed on way back from Miami. We got upgraded to biz class. I only had time for a large Hine cognac, a fillet steak and a valium, then woke up in Heathrow. Business class cabins on night flights smell no better than coach.
  • hopkinb
    MattFalle said:

I'd mug off NY at the mo' just because all USAnians have been loonier than normal over the past few years.

Mog isn't too bad compared to Alsager tbh.

But I'm with H3 overall - somewhere warm, chilled, hut on a beach so you step out an into the sea, hammock ready.....

Just tried to re-argue this point over dinner. She suggested Mexico, I raised cartel tourist beach raids and monkey theft. Maybe her friend will accompany her. I'll miss the tier points...
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Tbh, nothing that way is getting my juices flowing.

How about NZ or similar if you can get in due to Covid which I'm not actually sure they're letting anyone in.

Oz?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    When are you going?
    Gets a bit chilly in NY which might affect what you do.
  • hopkinb
    sungod said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

Don't read on if you're easily bored/offended by 1st world problems, or people whinging about something other people would see as a trip of a lifetime.

Are you duly warned?

So, Mrs H3 had some options vest and so has umpteen sponds. She was going to take Mini to New York, because I said I'd rather go to Bwlch, or at a push, Kashmir, wearing an "I hate Indians AND Pakistanis" vest.

However, NY seems to require vaccine mandates for foetuses. So mini can't go. I said I'd rather go to Mogadishu. So she then thought of the boy, but despite being vaccinated, unfortunately he reeks of weed 97% of the time, and does fcuk all school work, so he's not getting a treat.

So, it's me. Now, there are advantages. Her funds are sufficient that we fly out club world, and fly back first class. This means I get BA gold, which means I can hassle sungod in the concorde lounge in future.

However, I live in a world city, with cultural attractions, parks and shops. I am going to a world city 6 hours away where they have similar cultural attractions, parks and shops. I hate shops. Except wine shops.

Recommendations please? I'm going to have a pastrami sandwich as big as my head. I'm going to say "fuhgeddaboudit" to an Italian American. I'm going to crane my neck to look up at the big buildings.

I'm a Euro guy, give me Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Praha, Stockholm, Helsinki, Seville, Granada, Firenze, Geneve, Vienna, Warsaw etc etc.

I suggested Barbados or Tobago for Rum punch in view of the likely polar vortex in New York in February and minus 15 temperatures, but it's not my money.

What the actual fcuk can I do in New York that i can't do in London. Except catch a yellow cab.

New York is the same as London except the bin men are slightly earlier and slightly louder.

Find a good deli and you’re in, best pastrami/sandwich of my life, with a nice pickle on the side. Give it a few days and you’ll be craving a salad with no dressing.
    See, now that's what I keep saying. 6 nights in Key Largo, or the Caribbean. But I just know I'll get dragged round fcuking censored shops.
    mogadishu, nice beach, presidential suite at the jazeera palace is unlike any other, overall a good opportunity to lose unwanted travelling companions, take plenty hello kitty plasters and some of mf's chums if you go shopping

how about tel aviv, plenty of history within range, some bits of oman are very nice, or just veg out in ras al khaimah, hour up the road from dxb, there's not much there beyond hotels, which keeps it simple, waldorf or a beach villa at the hilton rak

still working on the salchichón, saw some furry bits on the vintage parmigiano, cut them off, nom
    Tel aviv, Jerusalem, Jordan. All appealing. But New York is the option.

I've finished my Xmas salami. More's the pity.
  • hopkinb
    Marrakech again, with trekking in Atlas mountains, then a decompress in Essaouira.
  • hopkinb
    But no, Macys, Bloomingdales, Times Square, Broadway blah blah blah. Again, apologies for poncery.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Nothing on here take your fancy?
    https://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/new-york/places#geo-places-row-3

Appreciate it's still sightseeing sorts of things.
  • hopkinb
    That is most helpful. Cheers thistle.
  • hopkinb
    Mooching, eating and Sightseeing, or exploring. Or rum punch.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    sungod said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

Don't read on if you're easily bored/offended by 1st world problems, or people whinging about something other people would see as a trip of a lifetime.

Are you duly warned?

So, Mrs H3 had some options vest and so has umpteen sponds. She was going to take Mini to New York, because I said I'd rather go to Bwlch, or at a push, Kashmir, wearing an "I hate Indians AND Pakistanis" vest.

However, NY seems to require vaccine mandates for foetuses. So mini can't go. I said I'd rather go to Mogadishu. So she then thought of the boy, but despite being vaccinated, unfortunately he reeks of weed 97% of the time, and does fcuk all school work, so he's not getting a treat.

So, it's me. Now, there are advantages. Her funds are sufficient that we fly out club world, and fly back first class. This means I get BA gold, which means I can hassle sungod in the concorde lounge in future.

However, I live in a world city, with cultural attractions, parks and shops. I am going to a world city 6 hours away where they have similar cultural attractions, parks and shops. I hate shops. Except wine shops.

Recommendations please? I'm going to have a pastrami sandwich as big as my head. I'm going to say "fuhgeddaboudit" to an Italian American. I'm going to crane my neck to look up at the big buildings.

I'm a Euro guy, give me Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Praha, Stockholm, Helsinki, Seville, Granada, Firenze, Geneve, Vienna, Warsaw etc etc.

I suggested Barbados or Tobago for Rum punch in view of the likely polar vortex in New York in February and minus 15 temperatures, but it's not my money.

What the actual fcuk can I do in New York that i can't do in London. Except catch a yellow cab.

New York is the same as London except the bin men are slightly earlier and slightly louder.

Find a good deli and you’re in, best pastrami/sandwich of my life, with a nice pickle on the side. Give it a few days and you’ll be craving a salad with no dressing.
    See, now that's what I keep saying. 6 nights in Key Largo, or the Caribbean. But I just know I'll get dragged round fcuking censored shops.
    mogadishu, nice beach, presidential suite at the jazeera palace is unlike any other, overall a good opportunity to lose unwanted travelling companions, take plenty hello kitty plasters and some of mf's chums if you go shopping

how about tel aviv, plenty of history within range, some bits of oman are very nice, or just veg out in ras al khaimah, hour up the road from dxb, there's not much there beyond hotels, which keeps it simple, waldorf or a beach villa at the hilton rak
    This ^.

Plus Addis-ababa. You can buy fake perfume for dollars and for kicks - Jo'burg. Bit seedy at night.
    There's always Khartoum, Port Sudan and El-Obeid. Full of all sorts of 'characters'. Perhaps some Belgian arms dealers: 'nous fumons le même tabac'.

Havana. That's the place to go.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinb
    Now, Havana appeals.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198
    Havana cool. Quite the travelogue reading through this thread.

Been out to pub with old mate and ex neighbour not seen in years. Gave me a lift back in his E Pace Jag. Demo-ed the acceleration 😳 See off any Panzerwagon. PS he was drinking non alcohols if you were concerned at all.

Too late to take up the apple tree prunings Pinno. Next year maybe.
  • pinno
    That 'man cave' of Stevo's... is a boudoir.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

That 'man cave' of Stevo's... is a boudoir.

Only the top floor.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Been out to pub with old mate and ex neighbour not seen in years. Gave me a lift back in his E Pace Jag. Demo-ed the acceleration 😳 See off any Panzerwagon. PS he was drinking non alcohols if you were concerned at all.

Maybe you're not used to fast cars...
    https://whatcar.com/jaguar/e-pace/estate/review/n17378/on-the-road
    0-60 in 6.1 - wow ;)
  • hopkinb
    Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

0-60 in 6.1 - wow ;)
    Not that I would do it here, as I drive everywhere local at 20 on the leccy, but my tank will do it in 5.5. I showed my brother up in Cov at Xmas where the roads are emptier, and he shat himself. 2 tons of 7 seater volvo. Less than a 2 litre engine, but with all the puffers and blowers. Screaming and wailing, rather than roaring and burbling.

Again, not that I drive on public roads like a twunt, but I wouldn't in this. It wallows and the turbo steer and twitch is quite horrendous, and it really doesn't go where you point it at pace. Not that I'd know.

Driven like it should be, it's a very satisfying car. Smooth, spacious, comfortable.

I still want a motorbike on which to be a tw@t. Luckily my organs are too fucked to donate. Mrs H³ says no.
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Ooh no sir; I have pruned them every year for the past 20 years at the first sign of cooler conditions in January/Feb. Even the RHS agrees with me.
    They are doing very well. Planted in 1993.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

Ooh no sir; I have pruned them every year for the past 20 years at the first sign of cooler conditions in January/Feb. Even the RHS agrees with me.

Eh yeah man. Meself pruned 2 little 'uns today, and 3 big 'uns yesterday. Thought you were inviting me along wiv me secateurs. Better get me reading glasses re-prescripted.

Not 0-60 or whatever Clarkson stuff. This is 40 to xxxx knows what in no time. That mid range acceleration. Back still hurts 😉
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2022
    orraloon said:

pinno said:

orraloon said:

Eh yeah man. Meself pruned 2 little 'uns today, and 3 big 'uns yesterday. Thought you were inviting me along wiv me secateurs. Better get me reading glasses re-prescripted.

Not 0-60 or whatever Clarkson stuff. This is 40 to xxxx knows what in no time. That mid range acceleration. Back still hurts 😉
    Your back is probably thanking you he didn't have an AMG :smile:
    https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/dosbhlutgap4
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

0-60 in 6.1 - wow ;)
    Not that I would do it here, as I drive everywhere local at 20 on the leccy, but my tank will do it in 5.5. I showed my brother up in Cov at Xmas where the roads are emptier, and he shat himself. 2 tons of 7 seater volvo. Less than a 2 litre engine, but with all the puffers and blowers. Screaming and wailing, rather than roaring and burbling.

Again, not that I drive on public roads like a twunt, but I wouldn't in this. It wallows and the turbo steer and twitch is quite horrendous, and it really doesn't go where you point it at pace. Not that I'd know.

Driven like it should be, it's a very satisfying car. Smooth, spacious, comfortable.

I still want a motorbike on which to be a tw@t. Luckily my organs are too censored to donate. Mrs H³ says no.
    I don't want to do this too many times as clutches might be expensive. Explained in pure Brummie:
    https://youtu.be/pycy989uRSM
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Thought you were inviting me along wiv me secateurs.

I thought you were coming this way aaages ago?

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    hopkinb said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

0-60 in 6.1 - wow ;)

I still want a motorbike on which to be a tw@t. Luckily my organs are too censored to donate. Mrs H³ says no.
    Speedos are normally set a couple of MPH higher so you’re probably actually driving at 18mph. Knock another 3mph off just to be on the safe side 👍😂
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

Speedos are normally set a couple of MPH higher so you’re probably actually driving at 18mph. Knock another 3mph off just to be on the safe side 👍😂

They are not 'set', they are notoriously inaccurate.
    Mainly because they are counting rotations of the wheel/driveshaft/axle and making a calculation.

"They then use some basic maths to extrapolate that rotation and determine how fast you are travelling. It’s a very similar concept to a bicycle speedometer.

However, if the diameter of the wheel/tyre alters, the extrapolation calculation will be incorrect. For example, the diameter will increase if you put new tyres on the car (more tread, which wears down over thousands of miles) or increase the tyre pressure. This means that, for each revolution of the wheel, the car is travelling further, meaning your speed is greater."

But you are right, speedo's tend to read a higher speed.
    Speed camera's are very accurate in recording speed - to within 0.1mph apparently.

Mine is 2mph out at 30 according to the digital speed display near the school and entering the 30 limit on two locations locally.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

They are not 'set', they are notoriously inaccurate.
    Mainly because they are counting rotations of the wheel/driveshaft/axle and making a calculation.

"They then use some basic maths to extrapolate that rotation and determine how fast you are travelling. It’s a very similar concept to a bicycle speedometer.

However, if the diameter of the wheel/tyre alters, the extrapolation calculation will be incorrect. For example, the diameter will increase if you put new tyres on the car (more tread, which wears down over thousands of miles) or increase the tyre pressure. This means that, for each revolution of the wheel, the car is travelling further, meaning your speed is greater."

But you are right, speedo's tend to read a higher speed.
    Speed camera's are very accurate in recording speed - to within 0.1mph apparently.

Mine is 2mph out at 30 according to the digital speed display near the school and entering the 30 limit on two locations locally.
    Thanks 😎👍
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    You can dine on that for a week or so.
    If you want more compliments:
    BACS:
    AC 023659865
    SC 22-98-54