Which Budget 'Utility' Car for bike racing/events and other outdoor adventures?

I know the 'best' answer is a van, but they're surprisingly expensive - seems like any mid-size (Transit Custom, Trafic, etc.) with ~60k miles is £17k or more these days, and because all the financing options are aimed at commercial use it looks like ~£5k deposit and £350/mo. For that much I'm better off just hiring a van 12 weekends a year!

Cars seem much more budget friendly for a hobbyist. I'm seeing offers of £250 down and £250/mo for secondhand estate with 30-40k miles with similar sticker prices. Obvious choices are the likes of Skoda Octavia or VW Golf here.

But then I keep coming back to the Dacia Duster which can be had brand new on PCP for £250/250 for mid-tier models. For a cyclist who wants a 'road trip' car that just works is this actually the best bet right now? Then in 4 years time either pay the purchase fee if I love it or just give it back and start over?

Original use case was:
  1. - Transport bikes inside the car (no need to secure them overnight)
  2. - Transport multiple bikes and luggage for 'weekend away' type trips with partner (travel within Scotland). Ideally without too much creative packing required.
  3. - Dress and/or sleep in the car at races, etc. (can always use a tent but a van adds convenience)
  4. - Move timber/furniture (I'm a hobbyist woodworker but not ready to invest in it as a serious business)
Only a van can really accomplish #4, and #3 is makeshift at best in large-ish estate. I think with the addition of a bike rack I can at least cover #1-2 with just about anything bigger than my partner's current VW Up! though. And a non-van is going to be more pleasant on a couples' road trip too.

Any thoughts/experiences with any of the above? Anyone else gone through a similar decision making process recently? Ta!
Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
2020 Ribble CGR SL
2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    edited January 2022
    A forum member on here pointed me in the direction of the Ford Grand Tourneo connect - it is effectively a van with windows, BUT is built on a floorpan from their passenger vehicles, so drives surprisingly nicely, and is very comfy.

2nd hand prices have gone up a fair bit recently sadly.

Mine came with 7 seats, the rear two I have removed and shoved in the loft which gives more height, and I can get fully assembled bikes in there now, no need to remove anything at all, which is nice.

It's not over endowed with fixing points, so securing said bike/s can be a bit of a challenge, but it can be done.

I can run it with 3 bikes in the back, and just the double rear seat down, so 3 people as well.

If you want any more specific info about specific engines/model years to look for, do let me know.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,312
    edited January 2022
    Go on YouTube and High Peak Autos. Owner does a regular vlog on models of cars he sells, good/bad points. Shows him going to cars he has purchased and any issues. A Volvo estate for £300 that might need £300spending on it and it's good for years. He features a Dacia duster. Had a Subaru Forester recently, v.nice. He does feature high end cars as well and interesting to see how unreliable they can be. Skoda Superb or a mid level Volvo estate always seem good. Skoda Yeti also seems good. Discontinued 2017 so prob not expensive.
  • Had a Skoda Octavia estate for years, large boot, will take a bike with wheels on when seats down and easy to use roof bars if you get one with roof rails. Generally reliable and cheap to run.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    I've got an Octavia estate as well. It sips fuel on the motorway while having enough space to fit multiple bikes and enough stuff for a couple of people taking a road trip.
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 142
    You could go Japanese import - they have a good range of day vans which could suit all your needs, while also being cheaper to buy, no worries about commercial insurance, etc.

glcautos.co.uk/search/?sortby=priceasc&nextn=100
    This place in Swansea is just an example - scroll down until you start getting to the 7 seaters. Bongos, Elgrands, etc
  • daniel_b
    I looked at the japanese options, but in my opinion they don't generally either have the required load height or depth if you want to load fully assembled adult bikes.

The gtc, to me, seemed to be the smallest (smaller footprint than a q7) vehicle that achieved this, and due to not being transit/Trafic height, can also fit in the vast majority of car parks.

£30 tax, and 50mpg (average) too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • The Dacia Duster is ridiculously good value, and a really nice car if you're not bothered about all the latest (utterly pointless) gizmos and gadgets.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,735
    Another vote for Skoda Octavia. I’ve the saloon version and I can still get two bikes in the back with wheels on. Also takes a full 1920mm door height with boot closed. Got a 3.9m scaffolding plank in mine too by cutting 20cm off the end (3.7m). One end in footwell. Very versatile. I’ve got changed standing outside of my car. If they want to report me for public nudity it’s up to them. I’m usually gone by the time the rozzers arrive.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    I was seriously considering a skoda superb estate prior to finding the gtc, could well be the biggest estate on the market.

But to maintain some seating in the rear would still have required saddles and front wheels off :#
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    One for the irony thread perhaps, but people who used to drive Volvos now drive Skodas and people who used to drive Skodas now drive Dacias.
  • daniel_b said:

If you want any more specific info about specific engines/model years to look for, do let me know.

Thanks - I might take you up on that. First look seems like most are still out of my price range, but I did spot one that might fit the bill. I'm sure this is the van body I was looking at before I gave up on vans (transit connect L2 which is the longer version). Bonus that it comes with seats (though I don't actually have loft space to store the 3rd row - would have to put them in my workshop when I need the space.). I'll PM you a link to what I found.
    amrushton said:

Go on YouTube and High Peak Autos.

This was helpful, cheers!
    oxoman said:

It's a Renault under a different name and after spending to long in automotive manufacturing anything built or designed by them is pants.

My thinking was if doing PCP from new then any significant unexpected issues should be covered by warranty and I'm free to walk away after that.

One for the irony thread perhaps, but people who used to drive Volvos now drive Skodas and people who used to drive Skodas now drive Dacias.

:D

Lots of love for the Octavia here - might have to go see a few of them!

Thanks all!

Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
    2020 Ribble CGR SL
    2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc
  • oxoman said:

The Dacia Duster is ridiculously good value, and a really nice car if you're not bothered about all the latest (utterly pointless) gizmos and gadgets.

Sorry I can't ignore this. It's a Renault under a different name and after spending to long in automotive manufacturing anything built or designed by them is pants. Even Nissan haven't been able to make them as good as their own even after nearly 18yrs or so assistance. Have to say car wise number one has already been mentioned Skoda Octavia estate. How many pro teams use and used them over the last few yrs.
    We’ve got a 2016 Dacia Duster at our house in Skiathos. 35000 miles on the clock and gets left in the airport car park for up to 4 months. It still starts on the first turn of the key.
    Car has been faultless.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Yeah I’m going to leap to Renaults defence too. We’ve got a 2011 scenic and it’s been brilliant. The only pain was the rear brake pistons getting stuck when me and a mate swapped the brake discs and pads. That was a pain in the neck.

I think the older ones were worse. Had one of those too and it died of turbo failure - too expensive to fix given the value of the car. Also had issues with the window on that one.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    edited January 2022
    Nissan NV200 might fit the bill.

Don't think they are available as new but there are loads of 2nd hand options available. My son-in-law and daughter have one that they use for weekends and holidays away - taking bikes, camping gear, canoes (on roof rack) etc. Seems Tardis- like when they load it up. Not too pricey on the 2nd hand market either.

It's essentially their Van with windows and extra seats. A few examples here for review.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/vans/used-vans/nissan/nv200

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    oxoman said:

The Dacia Duster is ridiculously good value, and a really nice car if you're not bothered about all the latest (utterly pointless) gizmos and gadgets.

Sorry I can't ignore this. It's a Renault under a different name and after spending to long in automotive manufacturing anything built or designed by them is pants. Even Nissan haven't been able to make them as good as their own even after nearly 18yrs or so assistance. Have to say car wise number one has already been mentioned Skoda Octavia estate. How many pro teams use and used them over the last few yrs.
    After owning an older Scenic, I completely agree that Renaults are not very well built cars compared to many other manufacturers, but although they might feel a bit plasticky and not as well bolted together as some other makes, they do seem to just keep going.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Honda Accord estate, aka Ananananaconda

100% reliable - its a Hinda, innit.

Fits the whole world in it.

Still looks good.

Goes like stink when driven propely.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    Basically any cheap estate. I imagine the Skoda is basically the same as a Passat or a A4 estate underneath.

I'm surprised no one has suggested a pick-up with a cab on the back, a chrome rack on the front and a tough sounding name like "warrior".

There are loads of those out here and they definitely increase your sperm count and go faster than even white vans.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160

Basically any cheap estate. I imagine the Skoda is basically the same as a Passat or a A4 estate underneath.

I'm surprised no one has suggested a pick-up with a cab on the back, a chrome rack on the front and a tough sounding name like "warrior".

There are loads of those out here and they definitely increase your sperm count and go faster than even white vans.

Do the ones in your area have the front radar set to 25mm too?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

A real man doesn't need adaptive cruise control.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Real men can all tail drive at a consistent distance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Real men can all tail drive at a consistent distance.
    In camo clothing.
  • I have a superb estate and I can get a bike in the boot with only wheels removed.

It's a great car - the main difference between superb and octavia is Superb has more rear legroom and octavia I think has fold flat rear seats, which superb doesn't.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Bikes fit straight into the back of Anananacondas without wheels being removed.

open 'lid

put down seats

sling everything in

honestly can't big the thing up enough.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Superb does that too. But if you must have back seats up then you can get the bike in with only 2 of the 3 seats down with wheels still attached.

Superbs aren't cheap though. I bought mine brand new for around £25k (it was heavily discounted as end of line and some minor changes were coming in for the new model, plus it was white). WeBuyAnyCar currently values it at £20k which is crazy. Clearly no point in selling it as replacements are similarly expensive.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Another Octy owner here. Hatchback Mk2, bought partly because I can pull both wheels off a bike and get it in the boot without seats down, all covered by parcel shelf.
    Often had 2 bikes in, front wheels off, rear seats down.
    2nd Octy I've had. We've had 2 Fabias and 3 Volvos too. The V50 estate has less room than the Octy.
  • First.Aspect
    I used to be able to get my clothes, some potted plants, posters, text books and bike in the back of a mini metro.

Main benefit of estate = carry bikes inside wheels on, carry one bike flat on top of another. Just.

For a single bike, almost any hatchback will accommodate a bike without wheels, almost any mid-size and above vehicle with folding rear seats will accommodate a bike with front wheel off. You can even get a bike with front wheel off across the transmission tunnel in a rear seat foot well of a saloon, or 2 door coupe, without too much hassle and a dust sheet.
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2022
    OP Issue 1 & 3 - sleeping in the vehicle with the bikes inside appears to have been forgotten.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    @voicycle - apologies, only just noticed you were sending me a message re the GTC, and I have just now sent you a long reply :D

The other bonus with the GTC, is that it is only 1820mm high, where as your Trafics and Transits tend to be a lot closer to the 2m mark, which can cause issues with access to some car parks.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

OP Issue 1 & 3 - sleeping in the vehicle with the bikes inside appears to have been forgotten.

OP must be a Dr Who fan. Only options are panel van, tent or a camper, none of which he wants.
  • If you only fold down the double back seat then you can recline the passenger seat and sleep there. Not luxury though.

The downside about the superb is that the back seats don't fold down to create a flat boot floor