Changing rear cassette and derailuer query

Hi,

I currently have a 20 speed 11-36 rear cassette with a Deore slx 6000 rear derailuer and front chainset is 36-22.

I've been looking at the Shimano XT M8000 11 speed rear derailuer. So I this would give me the range I'm after I.e. 11-42 with the option to upgrade to a single 11-46T at a later time.

Would I have to upgrade my existing front gears and replace my Deore shifters?
Would my existing chainset take a 11 speed chain?

I'm trying to make it as cheap as possible with out having to replace everything.

Manufacturers don't make their equipment to suite all ranges so it's hard to get the right parts for home based upgrades on the cheap.

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited January 2022
    As well as other compatibility issues that would need thinking about the trouble is you're very likely going to exceed the max drivetrain capacity for the XT and similar derailleurs with a big wide range cassette (suited for a 1x set up) mixed with a double chainring up front.

Without knowing the derailleur specs off hand and to achieve what you're after maybe changing your two chainrings with closer ratios (i.e ten tooth difference) would bring the max capacity figure down and make it possible?

Still reckon for simplicity you'd be better off ditching the front derailleur and going for a complete 1x set up which may not incur much additional cost? 🤔
  • faceplant77
    faceplant77 Posts: 25
    edited January 2022
    Thanks if that's the case I could go with a Deorde SLX 6100 q2 speed as that I believe can take a maximum 51T cassette however what front Ring gear would I go for.
    And again would I have to also replace my gear charger.
  • reaperactual
    edited January 2022
    Generally matching the same model (and speed) shifter, derailleur combo is the very much the easiest way to go.

Again not knowing the exact specs of the newer Deore M6100 stuff, If you decide on a HG 11-51 cassette, derailleur and shifter combo with a single chainring up front the only limiting factor on what size chainring you could use is down to chainring teeth and frame/chainstay clearance then at the same time that max capacity will be negated and not an issue anymore.
  • reaperactual
    edited January 2022

Thanks if that's the case I could go with a Deorde SLX 6100 q2 speed as that I believe can take a maximum 51T cassette.

Edit: Apologies for sounding vague as only going off initial general knowledge so had a quick look to confirm.

Shimano 12 speed groupsets opens up more issues to take into account.

The Shimano M6100 12speed cassette requires a Microspline freehub, you currently have a standard HG freehub. You would need to fit an alternative HG compatible 12speed 11-51 cassette.

Example:-

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sunrace-csmz800-12-speed-cassette

Either a non Shimano brand cassette or you're likely looking at needing a new rear wheel/hub and obviously the low budget approach is going straight out of the window. 😬