Really warm bib tights

Morning,

Anyone got any recommendations for some really warm and windproof bib tights? (Up to £150)

I usually use dhb but been disappointed with the last items I bought so want to find an alternative.

Thanks

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Cheers Rick.
    How do they fit? Do you need to size up?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited January 2022
    Erm, how to describe.

Rapha pro-team stuff is marginally smaller fitting than La Passione, but the rapha regular stuff is marginally bigger fitting than la passione.

Does that help?

It's pretty snug, on the whole.

The guide on the website is usually pretty accurate.
  • redvision
    Thanks. May well take a punt on them.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    edited January 2022
    @redvision I can echo Rick's review of the LP deep winter bibtights, they are excellent, and will probably be what I wear on Sunday.
    Shorts wise, I wear small in Rapha, LP, Castelli, Ale, Giordana, Lusso - you get the idea :D

However as I now commute, and didn't want to use them for that, I found some even more impressive (In terms of keeping me warm) bibtights, these ones:
    https://cyclestore.co.uk/pearl_izumi_elite_escape_amfib_cycling_bib_tight_with_pad-ID_73144

I bought 2 of the last 3 small ones they had, and if you can fit into a medium, then it's a mahoosive bargain - these fit pretty much half a size bigger than Castelli bibtights if that helps at all - there's not as much stretch/give due to the material used, but my word they are immense at keeping the cold off.

They have the latest ones at full price, but they are £175!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • redvision
    Thanks guys. Will take a look at those. I run very cold (suffer with raynauds) so must admit, the extreme cold one at pactimo do sound attractive
  • Try these from Lusso https://www.lusso.bike/collections/mens-bibtights/products/termico-bibtights
    I don't have these, I have an older version, but I can verify the quality. One thing I like is that they are available without a seat pad, I prefer wearing them over shorts so you get a double layer around the nether regions, great on really cold days.
  • Try these from Lusso https://www.lusso.bike/collections/mens-bibtights/products/termico-bibtights
    I don't have these, I have an older version, but I can verify the quality. One thing I like is that they are available without a seat pad, I prefer wearing them over shorts so you get a double layer around the nether regions, great on really cold days.

and 20% off everything ordered direct at the mo
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 466
    edited January 2022

and 20% off everything ordered direct at the mo

Thanks - just ordered some shorts

• Merino bibs from Wiggle (DHB) really warm, worth every penny.
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    @redvision , not sure if you have ordered already, but Rapha have a sale on - from £105.

https://rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-pro-team-winter-tights-with-pad-ii/product/PWT04XXBUB
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • redvision
    Cheers Dan, I have actually ordered a few different pairs but will take a look at the rapha ones.

@Christimson, thanks for the suggestion but I have been really disappointed with the last few dhb garments I've bought, including their so called 'deep winter bib tights, so not considering them again.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I got a pair of the Rapha core winter tights for Christmas, they are nice to wear but they not as warm as the Assos wind block tights. However you don’t feel like you’ve got body armour on with Rapha ones.
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    webboo said:

I got a pair of the Rapha core winter tights for Christmas, they are nice to wear but they not as warm as the Assos wind block tights. However you don’t feel like you’ve got body armour on with Rapha ones.

I suspect these pro team ones will be more akin to the super heavy duty windblocker Pearl Izumi Amfib (Amfibious......? :D ) ones (linked above) I have for commuting - it's verging on wetsuit material, not much give at all, quite a mission to get them on, but they certainly are warm.

I have some core shorts, and they are ok, but the pro team shorts I have are noticably better in all areas, as you would expect I guess!

I'd also agree on dhb - I bought some of their kit many moons ago, does anyone recall when you could get shorts for £18?!, and it was ok for the money, also bought some 3/4 bibs, which were again ok, but nothing out of this world - since then they have gone upmarket a fair amount, and at full price, they are competing against the likes of Rapha and Castelli in the sale, and I don't have enough confidence in them to revisit.

Having said that, one of their convertible jacket things from circa 2009 is still in use as wear on the turbo in the winter - it's a windstopper, and clearly gets little use, but the zip and all still works fine, and gets bunged through the wash regularly.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    those Assoss things in this months Cyclist look mega
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    edited January 2022
    I’ve got a pair of quite thick Endura jobbies which are good for Spring and Autmn and so I just wear thermals underneath. It was -2 last week and I was fine.