what to upgrade next on Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro?

amiscmails
amiscmails Posts: 2
edited January 2022 in MTB workshop & tech
I would like to take the opportunity on this forum to ask for a bit of advice on what I could upgrade on my current e-bike. (I know I could just buy a new full suspension one, but that is not the idea here).

This bike a Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro, hardtail with the following original parts that I am interested in to replace are:
  • Shimano BR-MT200 Hydraulic disc brakes and 180/180 rotor disc
  • Fork SR suntour XCM34 Coil, Tapered 15x110mm, 100mm, lockout
  • Cassette Sram PG-1210 Eagle, 11-50T
  • Chain Sram SX Eagle
  • Crankset Acid E-Crank, 38T, 175mm
  • pedals
It doesn't need to be on a budget, but any ideas are appreciated.

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    The item that leaps off the list for me is the small brake discs. As a minimum I would fit a 200mm disc on the front (plus change the spacer). If you are set on changing the whole lot, I would for 4-pot brakes by your favourite brand. I would opt for the same brand as your shifters as they nearly always fit together better on the bars. SRAM's Matchmaker mounts are fantastic.

The next is the pedals. Assuming they are like every other pedal that comes with every new bike I have ever bought, ie either very basic or non-existent, then you are right to consider getting some better ones. You give no clue as to whether you prefer flats or spds, so I will assume flats. There are more opinions on pedals than there are about saddles and tyres, so advice is tricky. I have found that almost anything by DMR is very good for whatever price point you choose. Many choose Superstar Components for their pedals and are very happy with them. I have DMR Vaults. I have two pairs, one for 11 years and one for 9 years (approx), I no longer know which is which. I have used three bearing service kits in that time. Recommended. Whoever you get your flats from, check the tightness of the pins before first use, then check them again after your first long ride.

A very good fork upgrade to the Suntour would be a Rockshox Revelation RC with the Debonair air spring. You could choose to increase your travel within the constraints of your frame. The Rev is a 35mm stanchion and is easy to set up. The air spring can be tuned with spacers for minimal cost and you can DIY. Also, at a later time the Motion Control damper in the right leg can be swapped out for the Charger 2.1 damper and suddenly the fork becomes a Pike!

I would recommend that you take a look at the EMTB website and join the Forum.
    https://www.emtbforums.com/
    It is an absolutely great website for e-bikes and apart from one or two of the resident pains in the 4r$e, everyone is very friendly and helpful. It is also a global Forum.
  • Thank you Steve,
    That is something I will definitely look into, good advice!