Saddle sores.

For the past few months, I've been suffering badly from saddle sores and it's really restricted my time on my bike as well as being incredibly painful and sore. I've had a bike fit, saddle fit, bought quality (Castelli) shorts, use chamois cream, had time off my bike, been given anti-biotic tablets and also anti-biotic cream, shower as soon as I can after a ride but they keep happening and I'm at a loss as to what to do next to stop them re-occurring. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420
    What saddle are you using?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420
    edited January 2022
    Your size, weight? What tyre width are you using? Sit bone width if known? What tyre pressure are you running? Do you have a set back seatpost? What kind of riding are you doing? Where abouts is it sore?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • emanresu
    emanresu Posts: 320
    Is this the first time you've suffered with saddle sores?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    are they in the same place each time?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    What kind of bike fit did you have? Any talk of leg length discrepancies (actual or mobility)? Any remedial action around that?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    I wonder if this could be a too much bum hair problem.
  • Hello again and many thanks for your comments. The sores don't happen in the same place, sometimes they are but I've also had them in new places. I've had/got them on my perineum area and also in the crease at the top of my leg. It's the first time they've been this severe and repetitive, hence a new saddle from a saddle fit. I'm 56, 6' 1'' and weigh about 80kgs, road riding only and run on 25mm tires at 90psi. Standard seat post. During my bike fit, leg length was taken as was the bend in my leg to make sure my saddle was the correct height and also the distance from bars to seat as was the tilt on the saddle. I was advised to have a Prologo Kappa Dea2 saddle with PAS. Many thanks.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited January 2022
    Can you describe what form the saddle sores take.
    Are they zit like, chaffing or blisters.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Could be Chalfonts.
  • prcody
    prcody Posts: 67
    When you had the bike fit did they do a saddle pressure check? I just had a bike fit done and on both bikes there was way too much pressure on my perineum.
    Both saddles were moved down and forward and I really notice it when Im on the trainer. I still have one or 2 small zit like saddle sores but that could be down to the 3-4 different brand shorts/tights I could wear in a week between the shed and out on the road.
  • First.Aspect
    Bike fits aren't a panacea.

Also, I'm wondering with this thread, as with others about persistent injury, if the OP is letting himself heal before looking for solutions. If he's get a saddle sore and then rides around it, he is going to make the saddle sore persist, or generate another one because he's sitting funny.

That's speculation obs., and OP sorry if its wrong, but the urge to get back on the bike asap is strong for many people.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited January 2022
    Not that this will be the solution but a few things to consider, in no particular order

1) are the shorts tight enough, and is the pad being held in place sufficiently snugly? It's probably teaching you to suck eggs, but one of the main points of the straps on bib shorts is to make sure the pad is held in position securely.

2) is the saddle sufficiently hard? FWIW, I find with soft spongy saddles I struggle to avoid sores

3) Are the shorts clean, and are you making sure you don't hang around in sweaty shorts unnecessarily after the ride? Are they clean every ride?

4) are you giving the area sufficient time to heal? It should heal more strongly than before, which is why real veteran riders tend to get less problems (though by no means none)
  • First.Aspect
    Wire brush and detol.

That's what I think.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

Wire brush and detol.

That's what I think.

First in the queue though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle

Wire brush and detol.

That's what I think.

Dettol?

Ridiculous, stupid, daft, suggestion. Something that clueless bloke who doesn't know how to use a space blanket would say.

Paraffin is what you want. Good honest paraffin.

Dettol. Tchaaa.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

Wire brush and detol.

That's what I think.

Dettol?

Ridiculous, stupid, daft, suggestion. Something that clueless bloke who doesn't know how to use a space blanket would say.

Dettol. Tchaaa.
    Doesn't matter. If it stings it is working. Diesel is quite good as well.
  • womack said:

Could be Chalfonts.

St. Peter or St. Giles?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ben6899

womack said:

Could be Chalfonts.

St. Peter or St. Giles?
    Johnny?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Wire brush and detol.

That's what I think.

Dettol?

Dettol. Tchaaa.
    Doesn't matter. If it stings it is working. Diesel is quite good as well.
    Jizer or Gunk work well as well I understand...
  • I've only suffered from a bout of saddle sores once, many years ago. Pretty sure it was due to an office move which meant only flannel washes after the morning commute and nowhere to hang kit before the commute home, so probably general bacterial buildup!

Solution that worked for me was moving jobs to better facilities!

The other thing that helped me (since you seem to have tried just about everything else) was replacing bibshorts as soon as the pad started to feel spongy rather that springy. Quite an expensive fix but I felt it helped to speed up the recovery.
  • A f@cking bike fit or a saddle shape won’t cure a bacterial infection FFS. No doubt some belter will suggest ‘a pair of hand built Borgs by Malcolm’ next.
  • Ben6899

A f@cking bike fit or a saddle shape won’t cure a bacterial infection FFS. No doubt some belter will suggest ‘a pair of hand built Borgs by Malcolm’ next.

A poor fit could be the cause, in all fairness. A saddle set too high could easily cause chafing and then a sore.

Not sure what rattled your cage, to be honest.
    Ben