36er bikes

36er Truebike.
New member first posting, though been viewing other members posts for some years.
I recently bought a 36er been considering for last few years, wanted a fun bike. Wondering how many other members have a 36 inch wheeled bike, uni-cyclists need not reply. Not seen any others locally where I live in Surrey.
Decided on Truebike in Slovakia after months of research, owner Robert Dilik I found excellent in discussing my bespoke requirements and componentry I required. The bike's are individually made three sizes available.
Good website and Robert happy to correspond by email and take calls.
Bike arrived in October and have had many long enjoyable ride's, often stopped by appreciative people along the way, picture link attached.
This is a monster wheeled bike so much fun to ride wish I had bought one some years before.
Do have three other 'regular bikes', mountain, trekking & road hybrid.

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Fascinating!
    I bought my first 29er MTB a few years ago, it was a full suss Focus Jam. I had the usual problems with a big wheeler, getting through twisty singletrack in the woods etc, but its rollover was good.
    It was a great bike which I enjoyed for several years, but the noticeable problem I had with it was when descending or going over a drop. When I got my 4r$e over the rear wheel, I got buzzed by the knobbly tyre. Any mud, grit or water got forced through the material of my shorts, and that was unwanted! (as well as the unpleasant buzzing). What if a stone had been carried round by the tread? (aarghh!) My next bike was a mullet (29F, 27.5R).

I realise that the picture you have attached is a bit distorted, but the middle of the saddle to the top of the pedal is 24% longer than the wheels are wide. That would make your crotch to under your shoe 44.8" long. Just how tall are you, and by any chance do you ride in clown shoes? :):o
  • Hi Steve I had to lower the picture quality due to the maximum file size allowed to upload. The saddle is shown in maximum position to reflect how big the bike is, though I have it set lower when riding, makes my 29er look small against this bike. Found suitable mudguards since picture taken SKS board & blade designed for 29er.
    Hopefully the 36er's will become mainstream over the coming years with the cost coming down.
    You are right the bigger wheels and longer wheel base does mean the tracks you can take this bike down have to be chosen wisely, though once you get the hang how to handle moves well and is very responsive.
    The rollover is fantastic quick bike on the flat/downhill, going up steep hills more of a challenge with the extra weight, though the gearing does compensate well front 36/26 rear 11/42.
    The standover height is just under 37 inches maximum saddle height is 43 inches (saddle to pedal) stem post 350mm, handle bar height just under 46 inches. Bottom bracket height 12.25 inches so higher than most bikes (around 11'') and gives good clearance over obstacles. If you have short legs this bike is not for you! Cranks stayed with 175mm rather than longer option.
    The XL frame is designed for height 6' 3'' or taller though they do also make a large and medium frame, which suits anyone 5' 5'' or taller.
    Thankfully don't have clown shoes body in proportion to my height 6' 5''.
    A friend of mine who is 5' 9'' has comfortably ridden my bike so height of rider is reasonably flexible, as they say you spend most time riding bike not standing over the bar!