Calibre Two Cubed equivalent that can be tried out in a shop?

I’ve been looking at buying a budget mountain bike around the £550 mark and was intending to grab a Calibre Two Cubed after trying one out. However, Go Outdoors no longer sell them and offer no direct replacement.

It’s been suggested I consider the Vitus Nucleus 29 VR instead, but without trying it out for fit (online only) its too much of a risk.

What other options are there where I can visit a shop and physically check the bike fits me?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Do not let problems like that force you into buying a bike simply because it is the only one you can try out. If you tried out the Calibre and liked it then you can compare the Vitus geometry to ensure that it will at least fit you. It took me only a few minutes to find the relevant geometry details. I did not spend long on this because it is not my bike! In the Bike Radar review, page down to find the geo details.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/calibre-two-cubed-review/

https://vitusbikes.com/products/vitus-nucleus-29-vr-mountain-bike-blue

Explore them both and compare the differences, list them and look at the details, Reach and Stack for example. Do not be too concerned about differences of a few mm as mostly the bike can be adjusted.
    Read the reviews. I have not read reviews of either bike, but I could not help but notice the headline summaries of the Vitus in the customer reviews as I was paging down looking for the geometry chart. Words like "excellent! were hard to miss. The Calibre may be equally highly rated.

It is always preferable to give a bike a very good test ride before purchase, but that has not been possible if the bike you are buying is an import or internet only. And more recently not even if the bike is made in the UK! So you have to be creative! I have bought four bikes in the last ten years that I had no chance to test ride, only to sit on. And one of them not even to sit on! I have not regretted a single purchase. But every single one had good reviews in the bike mags.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited January 2022
    Two of my Buddy's own/ed a Vitus (Sentier) bought from Wiggle/C.R.C. they are very much a great bike so I would assume the Nucleus will offer the same equivalent quality and value for money.

On your budget for a decent mtb an online retailer/mail order purchase is likely to get you the best value bike possible for the cash your spending so don't rule it out.

Bike shops have justified running costs which reflect in higher prices or compamises made by fitting cheaper components to hit a competitive price point.

Like Steve says all the info you need to find a bike that fits is there on the spec and measurements can be carefully compared to the one you sat on or any other bike you get chance try out.

I'm between recomended sizes on initial size guides for the one I bought (by mail order) from the other end of the country. I didn't even get chance to sit on the bike I decided to buy and it fits, based only on comparing my previous bikes measurements and geometry figures.
  • Dssr
    Dssr Posts: 13
    Much appreciate the comments and advice. I’ve started comparing the specs and dimensions as suggested. This will hopefully open the field a little.