Looking for an eMTB, hybrid or trekking bike for my wife.

mac_man
mac_man Posts: 918
Hi all,
My wife already has an MTB but I am seriosuly considering an ebike for her so we can share longer rides. I'm a complete novice to ebikes so I am wary of spending too little on getting the right spec. We are full-time living in a motorhome so our bikes are substitute cars and will be used for everything from exploring off-road, sightseeing to shopping and visits to the hospital. So it needs to be durable and reliable and be able to hang panniers off it. She is only 5'3" so sizing is critical.

I was browsing the other day and saw this: https://www.bike-discount.de/es/radon-solution-hybrid-7.0-lady-performance-500-1

I know Radon have a good reputation for the great value MTBs, but what ither brands and models should I consider. I have considered converting her current bike as she really likes it, but a decent kit seems to be around £1k and I wonder if it will do the job long term. My budget is around €2500 max.

Would love to hear your input folks.
Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    My wife has used e-bikes for the last 15 years for 30-mile round trip commuting and day rides in the hilly south Shropshire/Mid Wales countryside where we live. It’s a good way for us to ride together although she can leave me for dead on my lightweight road bike on long ascents.

My advice would be to avoid the stealth e-bikes designed to look like a road bike. Their small batteries and motors offer only limited range and torque. Living in a motor home with limited opportunities for re-charging means you would be best off with a bike with a good range. Something with a mid-mounted crank-drive motor (like the excellent Bosch Performance one on that Radon) would give probably double the range and much more hill climbing oomph than a stealth electric road bike such as the Orbea Gain etc. Looking at Bosch specs, the Radon you are considering should have a range of around 75km. It’s the sort of bike I would buy in your position and seems good value.

One extra point to consider. You don’t need lots of gears on an e-bike. A hub gear such as an eight-speed Shimano Alfine combined with a maintenance-free Gates belt drive makes a great option for an e-bike although that might tip the price over your budget.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918

My wife has used e-bikes for the last 15 years for 30-mile round trip commuting and day rides in the hilly south Shropshire/Mid Wales countryside where we live. It’s a good way for us to ride together although she can leave me for dead on my lightweight road bike on long ascents.

My advice would be to avoid the stealth e-bikes designed to look like a road bike. Their small batteries and motors offer only limited range and torque. Living in a motor home with limited opportunities for re-charging means you would be best off with a bike with a good range. Something with a mid-mounted crank-drive motor (like the excellent Bosch Performance one on that Radon) would give probably double the range and much more hill climbing oomph than a stealth electric road bike such as the Orbea Gain etc. Looking at Bosch specs, the Radon you are considering should have a range of around 75km. It’s the sort of bike I would buy in your position and seems good value.

One extra point to consider. You don’t need lots of gears on an e-bike. A hub gear such as an eight-speed Shimano Alfine combined with a maintenance-free Gates belt drive makes a great option for an e-bike although that might tip the price over your budget.

Thanks. At least I'm on the right lines then :-)
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    @mac_man Take a look at the EMTB website and consider joining the Forum.
    https://www.emtbforums.com/

It is a very friendly website, with a huge amount of experience and expertise that is offered willingly. Forum members are from all over the world and your question posted there should get an informed response.