Squeally brakes...

Hi, Not been here for a while but need ideas.... A mate has a battery assisted gravel bike - he's 82 - and the mechanically operated brakes squeal on application. The pads appear worn but not worn out. They have been cleaned up and the discs mounting screws retightened. This is happening front and rear. Help please....

Comments

• Plenty already said about this one doubt I could add anything new

https://forum.bikeradar.com/search?Search=brake+noise

https://forum.bikeradar.com/search?adv=&search=brake+squeal

There's a couple of thousand to go at, Happy reading

• woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Could be damaged or worn seals in the calipers if both are playing up. Work the levers and inspect the pistons for any traces of mineral oil. Clean out the calipers with disc brake cleaner and a cloth rag pushed through using a small screwdriver. Reset the pistons with the reservoir open at the lever. Scrub the pads and sand them down. Remove the rotors and clean them with Isopropyl Alcohol or meths. Use a blowtorch on them if you have one. If the brakes still squeal you need to renew the seals or change the calipers. There are loads of deals going on Shimano calipers, many of which can be used across a wide range of brake models. Bit of a palaver but you have to be methodical in working through the possible causes. Removing the calipers and inspecting them with the hoses still attached (using a good light) is recommended.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    woodywmb said:

irrelevant stuff

Mechanical discs ;)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Could be what was used to clean the bike has contaminated the pads. Try new pads, tighten the caliper mounts and clean the discs with isopropyl alcohol before fitting them.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    so ipro alc the way to go, yah?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    lical motor factor for purchase? b&q?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Thanks all - he's gone for the replacement option. At €12 a pair the LBS said it was the easy option. As an aside, they also said when worn out the pads will squeal to let you know.....