Refitting threaded inserts to carbon bars

bobones
bobones Posts: 1,215
I've managed to pull out the threaded inserts that are used for the computer mount on a set of carbon integrated bars. I have cleaned up the holes and fixings and tried a few different types of glue (Araldite, superglue, Gorilla), but nothing really works, and they will pull out after a few road vibrations. I am thinking of trying M3 rivnuts, but would appreciate some advice on the best way to go about this. The computer mount with existing inserts is shown here:

Comments

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Prob need to someone who repairs carbon frames. I presume these things are bonded in somehow. But how much are the bars to replace and how much would the repair be.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Anyone reason why you can't mug that one off and just use a standard one?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • bobones
    MattFalle said:

Anyone reason why you can't mug that one off and just use a standard one?

It’s a one piece integrated aero bar/stem so normal out-front won’t work. Currently using standard top of stem mount while this is broken, but will try to fix it with rivnuts and araldite. If that’s not successful I’ll probably just get another set of bars.

Thanks for your replies guys!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    tbf, Araldite should do it - its pretty tough stuff: I used to used it to repair fairings on race motorbikes and generally it was more solid post Aralditing than before...
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • bobones
    Just to report, I have successfully completed the repair by increasing the hole size to fit M4 rivnuts, which I fitted with some Araldite and a rivnut gun. I also had to drill the computer mount to accept the larger diameter M4 hex cap bolts (up from M3). Cost me a few quid for the bits and bobs, but still cheaper than buying new bars (which I'll probably end up doing anyway!)