Touring shoes, or stick to road shoes.

Long time road cyclist (30 years), but planning a three week tour across Europe - fly out, ride home.

I'm intending on riding most of the day - 60 - 80 mls. I have a road bike that has been converted into a tourer with front and rear pannier racks. Not overly interested in smelling the flowers, or visiting some random ruins. So I'm wondering if its worth buying some touring shoes with Spd fitting, or just stick to my SL cleats and road shoes, and take some practical sliders along.

Any advice really appreciated, and I'm aware it's all a compromise. So will the practicalities of touring shoes when stopping at caffs - brew stops, be worth it ? As opposed to the efficiency of using a hard soled shoe ?

Thanks for taking the time reading respond if you have any advice.

Comments

• Something like https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHPXFLCMTBS/planet-x-fully-loaded-carbon-mtb-shoe could give a good compromise, a solid sole to transfer power, but the 2-bolt cleat will be protected if you jump off bike to walk into a shop etc.

I bought my first 3-bolt shoes ~3 years ago, combined with Time XPro pedals I no longer get "hot spot" discomfort I used to on multi hour 2-bolt rides.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I’ve done lots of long distance touring trips across Europe doing similar mileages to what you are planning and would highly recommend a good quality pair of SPD shoes. Waddling around like a duck on wobbly road cleats would be a nightmare when you are loading and unloading your bike each day, going into hotels/campsites, loo breaks, shopping for food, and wandering around a town or village sightseeing or finding shops, cafes, restaurants and accommodation.

My preference is for carbon-soled MTB race shoes such as Sidi or S-Works which are fine for moderate walking (but definitely not hikes) and give the same sort of stiff and efficient platform as you are used to with road pedals. Or you could also consider a slightly more flexible pair of shoes such as those marketed for gravel riding which would be noticeably better for walking about. Either option would be fine for back-to-back 60-80 mile days. Remember you are not in a race.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    normal cycling shoes with a pair of flip flops and spend what you would have spent on new shoes on fags and wine to enjoy the holiday properly.

flip flops will also allow your feet to breathe and relax properly.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,423

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    if you want everyone to look at you like you are a lizard then yup, go for it.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    In America most people who tour ride on flat pedals with none SPD shoes so that they can walk around anytime they want; shoes like freeride shoes I've seen used. Others use MTB shoes; some use gravel shoes; quite a few are also going with touring sandals with spd these days; I can't recall anyone using a regular road/race shoe to tour on, they just don't cut it to walk on, the bottoms are very slippery, just horrible shoe to walk around in, however, road shoes are used if they are doing a fast inn to inn tour where the rider is credit carding it, but those guys are all about going fast and not stopping to sightsee.

I've gone a slightly different direction, I use a two-sided pedal, spd on one side and flat on the other, along with a flattish mtb shoe with short flat lugs, so, if my foot starts to cramp (I have a bad foot) then I unclip and use the flat side of the pedal. I can also walk around in my shoes, but I carry a pair of really light sandals for loafing around the campsite.

A lot of touring people in the US don't like to be clipped in when riding a loaded touring bike, I haven't had any issues with being clipped in on a loaded touring bike, but I have the option not to be clipped in, but I prefer being clipped in, but everyone is different.

It really is up to you what you think will work best for you.
  • longy
    longy Posts: 74
    I bought a pair of trainer style mtb shoes when I went touring in order that I didn't need to carry other shoes for off bike.

Next time I will wear my usual spd shoes and carry flip flops or something else lightweight and comfortable to change into.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,928
    MattFalle said:

normal cycling shoes with a pair of flip flops and spend what you would have spent on new shoes on fags and wine to enjoy the holiday properly.

flip flops will also allow your feet to breathe and relax properly.

Exactly. That's just what I did riding down to the Alps in 2012 - just a T-shirt, shorts & flip-flops to change into in the evening so the kit could be washed in the sink.

SPDs for the riding during the day and wandering around villages en route.
  • andrew_s-2
    andrew_s-2 Posts: 51
    edited December 2021
    I've been using SPD sandals the last 10 years or so.
    Because your feet can breathe properly, you don't need to carry separate off-the-bike footwear, and if they get wet, they dry out quickly*.
    Also, contrary to what most people seem to expect, cold feet aren't any more of a problem than with regular cycling shoes, even with no socks (another luggage saving).

Just don't forget to put the sun lotion on your feet too.

* riding in wet shoes for several days can cause foot rot problems, which is why Lachlan Morton did half of his Tour de France ride last year wearing Crocs.
  • Thanks for all your advice gents. I suppose it's all a compromise really. Ive gone for some fizik mtb ergo lace Spd's, with double sided pedals. Think they will give me the best of both worlds - I'm not going to be losing much when clipped in, and numerous caff stops and camping will be a lot more practical. Sliders will be accompanying me though.