Front lights avoiding handlebars

I've run out of room on my handlebars. (Too much electronic crap.) Anyone recommend a front light that attaches to somewhere other than the handlebars? I've been unable to find one.
I have a front reflector which looks an ideal place to fix a light but unless I go retro there don't seem to be any lights that will fit.

Comments

• https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPXSMH2W/planet-x-super-mini-2-way-200-lumen-bike-helmet-light will fit nicely on a stem, using the helmet mount and o-ring. You can set the light angle, works fine on the road, but I've not tried mine offroad so no idea how suitable its modest brightness will be.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    do you have a piccie of your handlebars so we can see what we're working with please and thankyou.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,548
    You can get bar extender things to give extra bar space
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124964696307?hash=item1d1879f0f3:g:vTIAAOSwXoBhXAM6
    but I can't think what I would need on my handlebar apart from a garmin and a light or two. Can you move any of the other stuff out of the way?
  • MattFalle
    This is why we need a picture to see what we are deaing with - no picture, no helpful advice possible
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    Like other said - what is on your handlebars?
    If you use an out-front computer mount, then you can hang some lights underneath that.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    Helmet mounted light - Exposure Joystick or similar.
    Then you only need a small "be seen" light on your bars as a backup light for riding home (e.g. https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPXFLASHWHT/planet-x-beat-3w-160-lumen-front-bike-light )

Also interested in photos of this handlebar setup.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    rob190 said:

I've run out of room on my handlebars. (Too much electronic censored .)

What have you got on your bars already that is taking up so much room?
    Apart from a computer or phone mount and maybe a bell, what else is needed?

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • MattFalle
    Forumites

all this posting is pointless unless we see pics of current set up.

end of.
  • monkimark
    take off the brake levers or cut your grips in half and slide everything outwards- job jobbed.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    @rob190 Wider bars is the obvious answer!
    If you have to carry all that stuff, wider bars will be lighter than an extra carrier bar mounted on the bars.
  • MattFalle
    Thats all as well, but without pictures this thread is useless.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    edited December 2021
    I use one of these on the current commuter, as I fitted 3T Egronova bars LONG before I realised it was going to become a commuter - the 3Ts have ovalised tops, with a small amount of regular real estate in the middle.

I have an out front mount there, and then on the extender thing I mount two Ravemen PR1600s and a cheap generic lidl/aldi flashing light.

The other advantage, as with my bike it has cables for brakes and gears, is that the positioning of the light, and subsequently the beam, is not affected by them.

I wrapped the bars where it secures with innertube, and despite mahoosive potholes being hit, the extender bar has not moved at all.

When I change to a Scott Addict Gravel 30 in the summer, I might be able to get away with not requiring it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154

If you have to carry all that stuff, wider bars will be lighter than an extra carrier bar mounted on the bars.

Superstar Yardsticks :wink:
  • ToneC
    ToneC Posts: 33
    thistle_ said:

Superstar Yardsticks :wink:

Oh God , I remember those. I have 780s on one of my hardtails and the guys at one shop were like " OMG"..
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    ToneC said:

Oh God , I remember those. I have 780s on one of my hardtails and the guys at one shop were like " OMG"..

I too have 780's and they feel just right. Plenty of leverage to stop the rocks and roots from deflecting the front wheel, allowing me to steer the path I need over the rougher trails. :)
    No good for commuting though, and I have to watch out in the woods! :o
  • rob190
    rob190 Posts: 16
    thistle_ said:

Helmet mounted light - Exposure Joystick or similar.
    Then you only need a small "be seen" light on your bars as a backup light for riding home (e.g. https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPXFLASHWHT/planet-x-beat-3w-160-lumen-front-bike-light )

Thanks. That looks useful.
  • rob190
    monkimark said:

You can get bar extender things to give extra bar space
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124964696307?hash=item1d1879f0f3:g:vTIAAOSwXoBhXAM6
    but I can't think what I would need on my handlebar apart from a garmin and a light or two. Can you move any of the other stuff out of the way?

Thanks. I never knew these existed.

I don't actually have that much: light, GPS & bell but the light is a really awkward shape as it has a 18650 parallel with the handlebars and I'd like to use the space for a phone holder. (Don't use the phone for navigating very often but it has proven very useful on occasions.)

I do have gripshifts which doesn't help the situation. And no, I'm not getting rid of them :-).
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    This thread started with you asking for a light to fit on your bars. Now you say you already have a light. Why don't you just replace it with a better light if that is what you want?
    Don't bother with the phone on your bars if you don't regularly use it. Just keep it in your pocket/waist pack/back pack and take it out when you need it.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Front light mounting options are handlebars, stem or stem faceplate, a handlebar extension like those suggested by @monkimark and @daniel_b, the helmet, or at the fork crown (which is presumably where the reflector is).

It is also possible to mount a light off the fork blade, but that's generally the least suitable option, as there's the chance of the light going in the spokes, and there's a big shadow of the front wheel to one side.

Helmet lights can be pointed round corners, and are useful as a supplementary light, but as a main light they give a very flat light that makes it hard to see ground relief, so it's easy to be surprised by a round-edged pothole such as is common on gravel roads.
    They are also abysmal in fog, and a real nuisance to any cyclist coming the other way, as it's virtually impossible to refrain from looking at them, and thereby shining your light straight into their eyes.

The fork crown works well, provided there's a suitable attachment point, and is used almost universally by dynamo lights, but to use most battery lights you need an adapter bracket similar to these:
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/mwave-fork-accessory-bracket/
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting-spares/rixen-kaul-fork-mount-for-front-lights/
    along with a regular handlebar mount.

Most people go for the extension bar, as the simplest option.
  • rob190
    JBA said:

This thread started with you asking for a light to fit on your bars. Now you say you already have a light. Why don't you just replace it with a better light if that is what you want?
    Don't bother with the phone on your bars if you don't regularly use it. Just keep it in your pocket/waist pack/back pack and take it out when you need it.

I have a light on the handlebars but I would like to replace it with a light that can fit on the bracket that is currently used for the front relector. I know they exist (I saw one yesterday) but I've been unable to find a source.
  • monkimark
    None of us know what your front reflector bracket looks like.