SPOTY 2021

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    edited December 2021

You won't get much money back if you put money on Emma winning, so it seems likely she will.

1/20 for Emma,

Meanwhile Sterling coming in at 150/1, so what do I know?

It was a great comeback to win the US open after her appearance at Wimbledon on centre court where it all became a bit much, understandably.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited December 2021

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Sterling, surely. One of best players in the whole Euro tournament.

10 goals in the Premier League and losing finalist twice, (and not taking one of the penalties) doesn't scream "massive favourite" to me.
    Pfft prem is for people who want to pay £45 a month. Small audience.
    OK, and how does "not winning the Euros" make him a shoo in?
    It was the one sporting event everyone actually watched, he was the star player in an otherwise very likeable team who got as close as you can get to winning a big tournament. Everyone was buzzing, it was fantastic.
    Surely he was only the star player for people who don’t understand football, right up there with Grealish.

And you don’t mention bottling the penalty
    You do know Rashford and Sterling are two different people??
    maybe I could have phrased that better but if we are talking "sports personality" then it has to be Rashford
    Yes but you mentioned bottling a penalty when Rick was talking about Sterling?
    I count forwards who duck out of penalty shoot out as the lowest of the low bottlers

Two lads who were "the stars" of our little, all-conquering Sunday league team always bottled penalties and generally went quiet in physical matches against equally good opposition. Small pond and all that. Anyone who knew their stuff could see the same five, largely not-lauded, lads* carrying everyone else when the sh1te was hitting the fan.

*those who played Sunday morning as a warm-down from Saturday afternoon.

TL:DR - I have a lot of opinions where football is concerned. I agree wholeheartedly on your bit in bold.

HOWEVER, you have to judge Sterling on more than that. He had an exceptional tournament. Nothing less.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Not much "British Inclusiveness" in this list of English people from the British Broadcasting Corp.

Yes women, people with disability, black people but no Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish representation.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    womack said:

Not much "British Inclusiveness" in this list of English people from the British Broadcasting Corp.

Yes women, people with disability, black people but no Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish representation.

Name a contendor.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    womack said:

Assume you'll be voting for Tom?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

10 goals in the Premier League and losing finalist twice, (and not taking one of the penalties) doesn't scream "massive favourite" to me.
    It was the one sporting event everyone actually watched, he was the star player in an otherwise very likeable team who got as close as you can get to winning a big tournament. Everyone was buzzing, it was fantastic.
    only the english were buzzing and yes, it was fantastic when Italy won and beat the English
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    womack said:

Emma has Romainian and Chinese heritage. You're good with that, right?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle

You won't get much money back if you put money on Emma winning, so it seems likely she will.

1/20 for Emma,

Why Emma and Sterling, why not Emma and Raheem?
  • focuszing723
    edited December 2021
    Andy Murray has won it three times and Geraint Thomas won it a couple of years ago. Which begs the question, what are you on about?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    MattFalle said:

1/20 for Emma,

Why Emma and Sterling, why not Emma and Raheem?
    Easier on predictive text
  • womack
    mrb123 said:

womack said:

Assume you'll be voting for Tom?

Can't see it 🙂
  • womack
    pblakeney said:

womack said:

Name a contendor.

Duncan Scott
  • womack said:

pblakeney said:

womack said:

Name a contendor.

Duncan Scott
    No, actually that's a fair shout that.
  • focuszing723
    edited December 2021
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/20819261#Comment_20819261

Probably too though Tom Dean should be there as well.
  • pblakeney
    womack said:

pblakeney said:

womack said:

Name a contendor.

Duncan Scott
    Yeahbut Tom Dean would beat him.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • womack
    Katie Archibald.
  • pblakeney
    edited December 2021
    womack said:

Katie Archibald.

Fair shout but cycling has probably been over represented in recent years and this is a popularity contest. Fairness doesn't come into it. My overriding response is, meh.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Surely he was only the star player for people who don’t understand football, right up there with Grealish.

maybe I could have phrased that better but if we are talking "sports personality" then it has to be Rashford
    I count forwards who duck out of penalty shoot out as the lowest of the low bottlers
    I'd rather the best penalty takers took them - if Sterling didn't feel he was amongst that group he did the right thing not stepping forwards. How I wish Gareth Southgate had done the same back in the day.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • womack
    Lauren Price
  • womack
    Gerwyn Price.
  • womack
    Vincent Price.
  • MattFalle
    Vincent Vega
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Vincent van Gogh
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Vinnie Jones
  • Kym Mazelle
  • MattFalle
    Mel n Kim
  • seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

I'd rather the best penalty takers took them - if Sterling didn't feel he was amongst that group he did the right thing not stepping forwards. How I wish Gareth Southgate had done the same back in the day.
    Presumably if they all refuse to take a penalty you forfeit?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    edited December 2021

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Presumably if they all refuse to take a penalty you forfeit?
    No - by definition some of them must be amongst the best in that group. Ok admittedly I'd have to amend it from "didn't feel he was" to "wasn't" amongst that group.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • womack

Kym Mazelle

Must be an age thing, I had to Google who that was.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    edited December 2021
    womack said:

Kym Mazelle

Must be an age thing, I had to Google who that was.
    The thread started to remind me of this:
    https://youtu.be/l3F2z4UPwQI?t=115