Cable cutters

Dull, I know, but I have just re-cabled my old steel bike, and my cable cutters (cheap Wiggle Lifeline ones) are absolute bobbins. Anyone got recommendations (I'm expecting lots of "Park Tools" comments)?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    edited December 2021
    Park Tools CN-10. 😉 Mostly as they are the only ones that I've used and come with built in crimpers. I use mine annually so the cost is eventually worthwhile.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Park Tools would appear to be the obvious recommendation for price and performance balance, although you do sometimes read of people complaining about the quality. My best personal experience is with Shimano cutters. Mine are 30 years old and still work like new. But they are very expensive now. The current TL-CT12 SIS version, which looks nearly identical to mine, is selling for £41-£58 on a quick search.
    https://www.bikeparts.co.uk/products/shimano-tl-ct12-sis-cable-cutters?currency=GBP&variant=12748418056281&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuYWVhqzg9AIVEIBQBh3jKgEIEAQYASABEgJ2oPD_BwE
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    These cut cables easily and haven't dulled with years of use. Japanese steel.
    https://rghsupplies.co.uk/products/gripple-wire-cutters-cut-up-to-4-00mm-wires-or-ropes-japanese-technology
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Park Tools

Had them for years, used at home and in a shop workshop for a couple of years, never had a problem and still going perfect.

Worth every penny.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Park tool are good and I use these for cutting the outers more than anything. I have a set of Knipex Cobolt as well for bike inner cables and other stuff and they are superb. Worth a look at Knipex alternatives for pliers and cutters as the quality is great.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    +1 for Park Tools.

Buy cheap buy twice where these are concerned IMHO.
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    Knipex 95 61 190 for the inner and parallel strand outer casings, and a set of Knipex 74 01 200 side cutters for spiral wound outers.

If you are feeling flush then a set of 4-point crimps for the end caps, Quaxar ones are nice.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    I have the cheap Wiggle Lifeline cable cutters. I bought them in 2017 and have recabled bikes at least 6-7 times with them (family has quite a few bikes). They are still as sharp as they were new and continue to cut perfectly. If I was a workshop I might want something better but I don't know what problems you've had with yours or how you've treated them so for the casual user they are fine.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• MattFalle
    edward.s said:

Knipex 95 61 190 for the inner and parallel strand outer casings, and a set of Knipex 74 01 200 side cutters for spiral wound outers.

If you are feeling flush then a set of 4-point crimps for the end caps, Quaxar ones are nice.

why buy 3 when you can buy 1 that does everything just as well?

how bizarre
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    MattFalle said:

Park Tools

Had them for years, used at home and in a shop workshop for a couple of years, never had a problem and still going perfect.

Worth every penny.

I cut everything with mine. Including the stays of mudguards, home wiring, toenails and my nasal hair.
  • MattFalle
    Nah.

pliers for nasal hair.

stick up schnozzle

grab hair

yank downwards

same technique can also be used for armpit hair and pubes.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Park Tool or Pedro’s.

/thread
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

Nah.

pliers for nasal hair.

stick up schnozzle

grab hair

yank downwards

same technique can also be used for armpit hair and pubes.

Blow torch.

One of the chefs ones can be used where precision is required.
  • MattFalle
    oxy torch also does the same job
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

oxy torch also does the same job

How hairy ARE you?
  • MattFalle
    its not the quantity, its the quality.

tbh, not very. like normal i'd say. not some kinda weird gorilla man but, at the same time, not some alopecic eel.

just kinda normal.

then again, a very, very low boredom threshold, too much time on my hands and access to Veet can mean everything changes on a daily basis.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Has enough time lapsed for the Veet reviews again?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    pblakeney said:

Has enough time lapsed for the Veet reviews again?

OMG those were funny

Anyway, back on topic, Park Tools on Xmas list. The kids looked at me and were like "Seriously?"

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    The Decathlon Btwin-branded one works well. I think it's better than the Park Tool one, and a lot cheaper.
  • edward.s
    MattFalle said:

edward.s said:

why buy 3 when you can buy 1 that does everything just as well?

how bizarre
    While I realise you are just being contrarian, I'll explain:

For twisted strand and parallel strand cable, a bypass style cutter that 'gathers' the strands together and cuts them in a clean shear gives the best finish.

for spiral wound outer, the same shear action can result in an uneven end with a pronounced spike of inner wire as the action forces the hose to dislocate before cutting. A good set of side cutters used with the flat side towards the hose you want to keep will mostly give a smoother end to the cut part as it tends to cut diagonally through the spiral material. At worst it leaves less of a spike to tidy up with a file.

For end caps you can crimp 'em however you want, but a nice 4-point crimp looks neat and is nice and secure.

One tool will do all that for sure, just not as well or neatly. It won't make any functional difference but I like to have nice tools and do a neat job.
  • MattFalle
    Great dit fella.

Just buy Park Tools job and do the job properly in the first place so you don't end up with the pig's ear as described above
  • edward.s
    MattFalle said:

Great dit fella.

Just buy Park Tools job and do the job properly in the first place so you don't end up with the pig's ear as described above

Yes, I get it, you are a hilarious contrarian, and only your view could have any merit.
  • Felco.
  • MattFalle
    edward.s said:

MattFalle said:

Great dit fella.

Yes, I get it, you are a hilarious contrarian, and only your view could have any merit.
    well it seems about 8 people also concur with buying Park Tools to do the right job first time round rather than your option of botching a job then buying 3 tools to repair it none of which were designed to do the original job in the first place.

buying the correct tool for the. how contrary of me.

next time i take a blood pressure i'll follow your jist and instead of using a cuff i'll shove a track pump up their 'arris.
  • masjer
    The truth is, you don't need to buy Park Tools. There are plenty of other top quality cable cutters (some most likely better than Park) -Felco being a good example
  • MattFalle
    tbh, any single use cutters designed for tge job are better than the catastrophuck situation he is describibg above
  • MattFalle
    actually surprised no one has vowed that using a Dremel is the only way to cut cables tbh.....
  • masjer
    + bench grinder for the perfect finish.
  • edward.s
    edited December 2021
    You know what Matt, you do you. If being how you are makes you feel good then I'm happy for you.