Old Car, Long Drive - sensible?

2»

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    A rental company will need 48/72hr notice, to put the documents together which show that you're not trying to steal the car away into the EU!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    My car is a 2004 diesel Skoda with 120k miles on it. It's well serviced and looked after. I'd have no qualms about driving to the Alps and back. I even have winter tyres fitted with M&S (mud & snow) ratings. Driving to Scotland and back over Christmas so a 900 mile round trip over 3 days. Go for it I say!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    edited December 2021
    ddraver said:

Brain - I thought it was still Winter tyres OR chains.

or nothing at all

Depends where you are driving. You can drive from Lyon to Grenoble then up to the Savoie border without winters at the moment. You need winters/chains/socks everywhere in the Savoie I think.

The law has been effectively suspended until after the presidential election anyway.

and no, you don't need breathalyzers either just 1 hi viz vest per passenger and a warning triangle.

Be careful if you come, the hospitals are rammed at the moment and understaffed. Don't have an accident. Also usual supply chain issues so if your Ford breaks down it may take a while to get parts.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

ddraver said:

hdow - that's what I saw, and I think if it requires a lengthy repair its just going to be scrapped. Have a box of stuff to post back, the rest I can do on the TGV

Brain - I thought it was still Winter tyres OR chains. I have chains and, being a transfer driver, am pretty slick at them now. If the job paperwork works out I'll put winters on it there. To be honest in cornwall they just think I mean 4 season tyres and have no idea where to get proper winters anyway

Bean - if I was going to a proper ski resort I would too, but I'm based a bit further down the valley this year. Plus (not to brag, but), I've got a bit bored of the resorts the past few years and would like something to drive to other places to do some touring etc.

I'll re-look at the breakdown cover...

Thanks all!

Sorry, yes, you're right re chains, I think, though worth double checking, as I think there have been one or two changes in the past 12 months. I've only tried chains once, and was rubbish at them, as was the person who owned them and whose car we were trying to put them on.
    Yeah there's definitely a knack and you need to have found it in the dry and also stopped long before it's too late. ;)

Once you get a pattern of swish, lift, jiggle, clip, hook you'll be grand. The rest is just beautification and tightening
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver