What tool is this?

2»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    I don't know if you can still buy the wedges separate from the stem anymore. Was there an industry standard regarding the wedge angle?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    New quill stem with wedge and bolt is £8 at SJS so not a lot to save a load of hassle
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • There are two types of quill stem; those with a diagonal wedge as in pblakeney's post, and those with a conical wedge.
    Look at the bottom of the quill to see which you've got before spending money. With a conical wedge, the end of the quill will be square, with a keyway slot in it.

It's normal to have to knock the wedge down by undoing the allen key 2 or 3 turns, and giving it a sharp tap with a hammer/mallet.
    The inside of the steerer will be butted, and if you knock the wedge down too far, it can get pretty stuck. To help avoid this, never put the stem in as far as it will go - always have it at least 5 mm above the limit.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    If it get stuck just turn the bike upside down and tap it out from below.

its not a biggie, in fact barely a smalley

no need to worry about wedge shape if you're buying a new stem - they both fit all quill stems.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • What I did is put the handbars on lined up with the front wheel, and the screw found the wedge 🤦🏽‍♂️

I think I had just been not lining them up properly.