Tyre rub

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
So, bought this frame second hand and today is the first chance I’ve had to look at it in daylight. Spotted the below on the inside of the chainstay, next to the seat tube. Obvious tyre rub, but does it look like the frame is unusable? Less than 1mm deep, more than 0.5.

Comments

• That looks like it’s just missing paint to me. I don’t think there’s any structural damage there. Have a really close look to see if there are any cracks emanating from the area. No cracks, no problem.
  • johngti
    Thanks. No cracks so I’ll slap some paint on it and monitor closely.
  • johngti
    Turns out the frame was used with mudguards which I’m guessing were a tight fit and not fully secured, hence the rubbing.
  • johngti
    Blimey. I’m guessing that the carbon in that area is pretty beefy so that takes some doing.
  • johngti
    I’m wondering if a spot of touch up paint is enough now. Perhaps a spot of carbon fibre filler/epoxy first would be a good idea
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Can't see it adding any strength but if you're planning on touching up the paint you will get a better finish with it patched in.
  • johngti said:

Blimey. I’m guessing that the carbon in that area is pretty beefy so that takes some doing.

I recently disposed of a very old Ribble carbon frame - so old and well-used that I wouldn’t have sold it on, and I had no other use for it. I stripped it of parts.

I thought I’d break it up for disposal. I put the frame flat on the ground then stood on the rear triangle - nothing (I weigh 90kg). Then I bounced up and down - nothing. I took a hacksaw to the seat stays and sawed them halfway through then hit the rear triangle repeatedly with a club hammer - nothing. Then sawed halfway through chainstays as well - nothing. Eventually had to saw the whole frame into pieces to fit in a bag to throw away.

I know carbon can get stress fractures, but it really is incredibly strong. You’re not going to notice those marks after a few months - just put some touch up paint on it!

I always trim any mudguards and use a bit of helicopter tape to avoid paint rub damage.
  • johngti
    Yeah. It’ll be fine I’m sure
  • Because it's carbon it'll be just fine.

My alu framed winter bike suffers much worse in exactly that area. It's not so much the mudguards directly rubbing the paint away but the constant accumulation of muck / grit / salty water which acts as a very effective grinding paste twixt guard and chainstay / BB.

Once the paint's worn through, said salty muck then sets up galvanic corrosion which burrows beneath the hitherto sound paintwork.

Every few years I strip the bike down, sand it all back and prime / paint / lacquer the affected area again. Tedious but better than leaving it to eat right through a chainstay.
  • johngti
    Munsford0 said:

Because it's carbon it'll be just fine.

My alu framed winter bike suffers much worse in exactly that area. It's not so much the mudguards directly rubbing the paint away but the constant accumulation of muck / grit / salty water which acts as a very effective grinding paste twixt guard and chainstay / BB.

Once the paint's worn through, said salty muck then sets up galvanic corrosion which burrows beneath the hitherto sound paintwork.

Every few years I strip the bike down, sand it all back and prime / paint / lacquer the affected area again. Tedious but better than leaving it to eat right through a chainstay.

I guess I’ve never seen that because, when I’ve stuck mudguards on in the past, they normally stay for a few weeks before I get fed up with rubbing and rattling so they come off again. Kind of irritating, though! Not sure I’d have the patience to keep stripping it down and repainting