9 speed missing link loose

chelsea44
chelsea44 Posts: 25
edited December 2021 in Workshop
Hello. I got a new bike with Shimano Sora 9 speed a while ago. I wanted to remove the chain to clean it and read that you could install a Kmc missing link on it for easier removal and installation. So I did that.

The issue is, which I’m not sure it is an issue but it doesn’t seem right. You can easilly open and close the link when on the chain by hand. It’s pretty much only the chain tension keeping it in place. Is this normal? These are Kmc reusable links.

It says CL566R on them 9s.

I did a 2h zone 2 ride for the first time today and it went well. It didn’t seem to be a problem but that’s on the trainer. How would I be able to tell if it could be an issue? And does anyone else use these Kmc missing links with their Shimano 9 speed chains, and is it the same?

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I’ve used KMC missing links for many years with no issues.

Are you sure you have installed it correctly? Once you have put the two link pieces in position you push down hard on the right crank until you feel it click into place. Once that has happened, it won’t open and close easily by hand. In fact, it’s a bit of a struggle to undo it unless you have the knack or suitable tool.
  • Yes had a few of the KMC links like that bit worrying but seem OK
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,352
    Buy a Wipperman Connex quick link.
    Far superior to KMC. Much easier to use.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I’ve used KMC missing links for many years with no issues.

Are you sure you have installed it correctly? Once you have put the two link pieces in position you push down hard on the right crank until you feel it click into place. Once that has happened, it won’t open and close easily by hand. In fact, it’s a bit of a struggle to undo it unless you have the knack or suitable tool.

I do have a tool for that but haven’t thought to use it, to try and push it in more if possible. I’ll try that and see if it’s still loose. The reason I didn’t do that was because it seemed like it was in place.
  • pinno said:

Does the Wipperman link work with KMC and Shimano chains?

I’m gonna get a new chain, a KMC SL. Since I am going to use the bike on the trainer with an 11-28 and also I will be having a 11-32 on the wheels for occasional gravel rides. I thought it would be best to have two chains to switch between then.

The longer chain for 11-32 will be too long right, for the 11-28 cassette? The Wipperman link is reusable from what I’ve read, so that would be good to use.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,352
    chelsea44 said:

pinno said:

Does the Wipperman link work with KMC and Shimano chains?
    Yes, absolutely.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I've used them on my old 9 speed Tiagra and 10 speed 105 for years. Always click into place and i'd struggle to undo them without the quick-link pliers.

Did have one fall to bits once; probably reused it on one too many changes of chain...
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    Recent quick links seem to be a lot looser than ones I used 10 years ago. All brands. But then I was using 7/8 speed chains. Purely anecdotal evidence.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.