Comprehensive protective clear wrap on bikes

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,591
edited December 2021 in Road buying advice
Afternoon all,

I've recently purchased a new Scott Addict RC30, and have a raft of upgrades planned to make it a lightweight bike that I plan to keep for 10+ years.

I also have a 2018 Foil which I love riding, and that has a chip on the rear stay.

I'm thinking of getting both bikes wrapped by a dedicated company, which costs around £300 per bike, and they state for the measurement, precision cutting, and then fitting it takes around 3 days.

They have good reviews, and I have spoken at length with the owner (He said he can make the Foil chip effectively invisible prior to the wrap), about the method, finish options etc. He's also within 30 miles, so easy enough to run them down there in the van for drop off and pickup.

My reasoning being that I have zero plans to get shot of either bike for a long time, and I like to keep my possessions in the best condition I possibly can.

Has anyone else carried this out for their 'dream' bikes?
*I appreciate Scotts won't be everyones dream bike, but for me they are :)

Additionally, I have an Addict Gravel 30 due in May/June next year - that will lead a much harder life, being a weekly commuter, occasional tourer, and some gravelling at weekends as well.

Arguably this might be a more logical candidate to be wrapped (I love the colour of it) but am trying to figure out whether it is overkill to wrap the two roadies, and or whether I should just get the gravel bike wrapped?

Thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• daniel_b
    I have used tape before, but only where the cables might rub, neither the Addict or Gravel Addict can have any cable rub though.

He says 95% of the bike frame and forks will be covered, and also they can cut and fit tape to the cranks - weight added is circa 80g.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    No agreed, it just occurred to me as a factor when I'm going to be selecting parts for outright lightness that it wouldn't add too much heft.

Same here, never seen a complete effort, he has sent me some pics, but would be nice to see one in the wrap as it were - might see if I can arrange to pop down and see a couple of bikes he has just finished. He says it is virtually invisible, but not only protects the paintwork, but is effectively 'self healing' for little knocks and bumps etc - I know someone who had a bike wrapped by this place, they said they dropped a small tin of paint on the top tube, and it did indeed disappear within a week, which is a handy bonus I guess, aside from the usual protection from road debris etc etc.

Not sure if they are easier or more difficult to clean though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    For that price I would save my money. After a number of years if it needs a respray put the £300 towards that.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    What’s the company, Dan?
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    johngti said:

What’s the company, Dan?

Sorry @johngti - missed this, it's a company called imaginatively, Cycle Wrap.
    https://cyclewrap.co.uk/

I think going to visit to see his work, if possible, is the right path to take.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Stalled on wrapping either of the other two bikes, but my gravel bike is theoretically due soon, so will get that wrapped, and will feed back.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18