Chris King road hub 12spd compatability

Interested in a wheelbuild for my N+1 and am considering Chris King R45D road disc centre lock hubs. At the moment they only appear to be Shimano 11spd compatible. I understand CK have gone Shimano Microspline 12spd compatible freehub with the MTB 148x12 hubs, but not the 142x12 road hubs.

Anybody any idea if they will and if so will the axle/ freehub be a straight swap onto the existing R45D hub body? It would be a shame to shell out on such expensive hubs only to find they will be obsolete if I upgrade to 12spd (and when I say upgrade, I mean FIT 12spd as 11spd di2 becomes unavailable).

Comments

• I suspect they will if they have already gone that way on the mtb hubs, but that is purely speculation.

Drop them a message, I have had a couple of ck bits in the past and have had tech queries. Always had a quick and clear response from them.

Obviously your case my be a bit different p_p as you are asking about product development, but worth a go perhaps.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Yeah, I suppose what I was really asking was will it be possible to fit the extra gear in without them having to redesign the shell! I think your idea of contacting them may be the best way to get the info if they are that good at responding! Cheers.
  • For reasons I CBA to diagnose I can't check CK website. But are the freehubs on the MTB ones interchangeable for 11 speed standard HG and 12 speed microspline? That's probably an indicator whether there's a hub redesign required to make it work.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Wow, they have responded already! They say that the new Shimano 12spd is backwards compatible with the old HG11 spd splined hub.

I must have misunderstood, I thought you could fit an 11spd cassette on the new Shimano freehub, but you couldn’t fit the 12spd cassette on the old freehub. I must have got it the wrong way around!
  • Told you they were quick! Good stuff, and always handy to know you should get decent customer service if you buy a CK product and ever need any assistance.