Flat bar to drop bar conversion

Just bought a Fuji 1.7 absolute. Love everything about it except the flat bars! Miss riding on the tops and hoods. Can anyone recommend the components I need (apart from the drop bars!) ... the bike has hydraulic brakes and trigger gears; a double chain ring and 9 speed cassette. Many thanks.

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    What make and model of group set?
    This will not be cheap? It might be better to get to love your flat bars or sell the bike and buy a drop bar bike.
  • Thanks. Drivetrain current parts are:
    Shifters: Shimano Altus, 2x9-Speed
    Crankset: Shimano Altus, 46/30T
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Acera
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio shadow
    Cassette: Shimano Acera, 11-36T
  • jpj84
    jpj84 Posts: 51
    I don't think anyone makes a 9 speed set of hydraulic shifters for drop bars... so you could try with Sora mechanical stis, plus cable operated brakes.

You'd likely find the braking pretty rubbish. I think the gearing should be compatible though - all shimano 9 speed stuff works together I believe.
  • The issue is that flat bar bikes have longer top tubes for the same equivalent size due to shorter stem etc.

You may struggle to make it work, unfortunately.
  • lesfirth said:

This will not be cheap? It might be better to get to love your flat bars or sell the bike and buy a drop bar bike.

^ This

or you might try a pair of 'end bars' on the flats, see how you get on

https://bikeradar.com/features/over-to-you-bar-ends-yay-or-nay/
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    ^ This
    A pair of short bar ends will give you a similiar position to "riding on the tops of the hoods."