tuesday resting by the tumtum tree

2»

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Evening, fun day doing not a vast amount, got the band saw setup properly tensions good no blade drift just need some form of dust extraction because my god it produces a lot. Answers on a matchbox for that one.

weather also has been super dull bit of rain now gone windy again which is rubbish. Speaking of dogging spots, local one by me seems to be rather busy of late, they have to drive up or road to get to it. Police now like sitting up there as well, not sure if they are partaking or just waiting on people. Who knows.

More mince pie testing tomorrow.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,194
    step83 said:

Evening, fun day doing not a vast amount, got the band saw setup properly tensions good no blade drift just need some form of dust extraction because my god it produces a lot. Answers on a matchbox for that one.

weather also has been super dull bit of rain now gone windy again which is rubbish. Speaking of dogging spots, local one by me seems to be rather busy of late, they have to drive up or road to get to it. Police now like sitting up there as well, not sure if they are partaking or just waiting on people. Who knows.

You can't get an el cheapo vacuum cleaner from a charity shop and hook it up somehow?
    What you going to make?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    I have tested 2 mince pies in two days (not as many as SG but then I don't wash them down with Champers) and I think I need a month or more to complete my findings.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    pinno said:

step83 said:

You can't get an el cheapo vacuum cleaner from a charity shop and hook it up somehow?
    Is that band saw or dogging related?
  • step83
    thistle_ said:

pinno said:

step83 said:

Likely both.

An I do have a Hoover I can slap on the dust port. Just annoying that it's so loud. Ok the bandsaw isn't quiet but both is very very loud plus I'm looking at a proper dust extractor. The Hoover I've been using I put a hose out to a bucket an it stuff lobs out the fine dust.

Pinno stuff wise nothing super exciting to start some simple frames an boxes.

Bandsaw nothing fancy been holding out for the Aldi one which is a rebranded Scheppach HBS261S but for £100 less. Going to get used to it an start doing more.

• step83 said:

thistle_ said:

pinno said:

step83 said:

Likely both.

An I do have a Hoover I can slap on the dust port. Just annoying that it's so loud. Ok the bandsaw isn't quiet but both is very very loud plus I'm looking at a proper dust extractor. The Hoover I've been using I put a hose out to a bucket an it stuff lobs out the fine dust.

Bandsaw nothing fancy been holding out for the Aldi one which is a rebranded Scheppach HBS261S but for £100 less. Going to get used to it an start doing more.

i haz. 🙂

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • step83

step83 said:

thistle_ said:

pinno said:

step83 said:

Likely both.

i haz. 🙂

I would love one of those, annoyingly I lack the space, also no idea why the photo decided to fall over like that. Currently debating a small chip/dust collector from Festool, the CTL SYS. Its pretty compact has a long hose an its pretty compact. only snag is the price tag, but you only get one set of lungs so it's likely worth it.
  • step83
    oxoman said:

I use an old aqavac canister type hoover for what bit I do. But machine mart and toolstation did similar to spinners.
    https://www.toolstation.com/sip-1200w-saw-dust-collector/p28641
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cde35b-dust-collector/

The second one would be ideal but lack of space is a pain currently, may change. if not it will be something like this.
    https://www.toolstation.com/festool-ctl-sys-mobile-dust-extractor/p48293

• step83
    Yeah I have been wearing a dust mask for most work in there. recently changed to a new slimmer fitting one. Old ones were a little OTT an hard to breath with.

https://www.gvs.com/en/catalog/elipse-abe1p3-respirator

MDF is very nasty stuff, the glue/binder is commonly Formaldehyde based which is obviously not very good for you.

Ideal world I would have a nice large double garage, or outbuilding so I can setup a proper dust extractor like that with a cyclone chip collector. Something for the future perhaps
  • pinno
    Mdf is banned in most countries in Europe.
  • pinno
    Get a sawdust burner and keep your shed warm.
    You can always whistle while you work.
  • I also have a relatively small "portable" dust collector which I use mainly on the jointer, works ok, but not rated high enough for the table saw or thicknesser use really. And the bag is a PITA thing to empty, makes almost as much mess as the job in the first place.

https://www.carbatec.com.au/dust-extractor-single-bag-1hp-old-code-fm-230m

Bought some stuff off a bloke here who had a huge workshop under his house, had full "plumbed in" dust collection throughout with 100mm PVC pipe routed around in soffits and connections for short flexible hose to each machine, with shutoffs as needed in the idle lines. All went outside to a giant dual canister collector.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS