Is this headset installation good enough? Specialized allez 2014 - No play and rolls smooth.

Background info - apparently specialized allez headsets are a pain in the arse to replace, despite being such a popular model.

After buying two different headsets (part number = S122500009 and SKU = W2070041 respectively), I combined different parts to install. I had to hammer in the top bearing for an ultra snug fit. As shown, it doesn't quite go all the way in but definitely seated firmly.

Two questions:
1. What exactly are the pros and cons of the quality of my headset replacement work?
2. Is there a idiot's how to guide on installing the headset on the specialized allez correctly?

I hope by posting this it can help others with the installation as it's a very common model and there's very little clear help online.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you intended to attach a photo of your installation, I can't find the link in your post.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    I have an old Allez that I use for commute/winter. The headset bearings/race needed replacing and I had the same problem as you insofar as I couldn't find a definitive answer to the problem. Took it to LBS who replaced it. Parts and labour £40. Probably doesn't help now that you've done it but sometimes it's good to know the limits of your capability and, all things considered, how cheaply something like this can be done by people who know what they're doing.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • I have an old Allez that I use for commute/winter. The headset bearings/race needed replacing and I had the same problem as you insofar as I couldn't find a definitive answer to the problem. Took it to LBS who replaced it. Parts and labour £40. Probably doesn't help now that you've done it but sometimes it's good to know the limits of your capability and, all things considered, how cheaply something like this can be done by people who know what they're doing.

This is a great reply.

I did a simple drop test of the front wheel to test my handywork and the fork steerer tube snapped. I'm actually just grateful it didn't happen while I was riding.

Kids at home, listen to this guy.