Is it always better to gift Strava Premium membership rather than to buy it yourself?

So I've just gifted my GF another year of Strava Premium (mainly because I'm more into her data than she is.. ;) ).

I think it cost £1 less than it would have done if she'd bought it herself, and it has the advantage that I can be sure it won't autorenew without having to twiddle any account settings. I also received a voucher code for one month free membership for myself, which basically extends my expiry date by one month.

So should we all buy memberships for someone else in a reciprocal arrangement, rather than directly for ourselves?

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    I don't see the attraction in the paid version.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    edited November 2021
    Strava is £7/month. Adobe Photoshop + Lightroom is £10. One of these may be profitting from your data.

Having said that, Strava is currently on offer, until 14/11. £48 for the whole year. A sizeable discount.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Yeah, I think it was £48 for the year if you bought it yourself and £47 as a gift (or was it £49 and £48, can't remember with the £0.99).

Wouldn't pay £7 p/m for it.

Trendy right now to bash Strava but I still find KOMs and leaderboards motivating, we forget how revolutionary it was when it first started and there's nothing else really with the same functionality and coverage.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    When companies want your data, they usually pay for it. Not the other way round.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I just wish they'd make more use of it. Massive potential for all of that HR and power data to be correlated with health records to statistically predict health outcomes, etc. Would be a legal / data consent nightmare, though..
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    What a complete equality promoting bastard.
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 114
    It's £54 for the year now. Not paying that, I took it out a few years ago when you could choose which of the areas was most suited to you. Think it was £20 odd. Now it's all or nothing. Only thing I miss is your ftp estimate which ain't far away
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    There was a piece on DC Rainmaker about this recently. Personally, the only person against whom I compete is me, so I don't bother with the paid version.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    secretsam said:

There was a piece on DC Rainmaker about this recently. Personally, the only person against whom I compete is me, so I don't bother with the paid version.

This.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I get some value from it, so I don't mind paying for it.
    It looks like what they've really done is made it a lot more attractive to have an annual subscription - £8 pm is £94 per year, or £54 per year if you go annual.
    I don't remember there being such a big penalty for paying monthly before.
  • I like it existing, so don't mind throwing a few coins their way.

Haven't paid for a while, so I've subscribed this year. I wouldn't have got any benefit from it over the last couple of years but fingers crossed this year I'll be back out on the bike.
  • If you want to keep track of your power data, Strava is a reasonable container… I suppose I could use Garmin Connect or other, but for the price of two cups of fancy coffee a month, Strava does the job quite well. Other databases are clunky to use, difficult to recall old data/rides… being ranked in the KOM thing is not life changing, but it could be a useful way to see improvements in the real world
    left the forum March 2023
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    edited January 2023
    I'm still considering ditching Strava Premium this year when my renewal is due in a few weeks.

Main reason for Premium by far was power data and segments compared to previous efforts, this year isn't likely to come close.

Still pondering replacing lost Lezyne Mega XL with Garmin 530, although deals on latter have pretty much dried up, former I can still get for ~£150.

Wondering if Garmin accounts (Connect?) give decent analysis of rides with their computers? Lezyne's "GPS Root" is very raw/basic, I can't for example highlight a section of the ride and get data for that section.

Intervals.icu site suggests you can now directly upload fit files to their site, instead of linking account to Strava, if true that might be perfect for my needs this year.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo