Wife’s first road bike suggestions?

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,644
edited November 2021 in Road buying advice
Hi. Looking for a relaxed geometry bike, budget £400 ish as she may not take to road riding.

Decathalon route?

Or something a couple of years old from eBay?

Thanks.
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    if it were my OH, I think I'd go the decathlon route - so she can sit on it, make sure it's comfy etc.
    My wife would care more for a bike that's a nice colour and in good condition rather than getting something higher spec.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Decathlon as it will all work properly and be clean and she can choose the colours rather than something you have to work on that she won't completely enjoy and it'll just end up sitting there.

and use it as an excuse to get yourself something new.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,735
    Be kind and buy her a decent female specific saddle to go with it, otherwise she'll probably ride it twice. Something like a Selle Italia lady gel flow which my wife likes a lot.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613

Be kind and buy her a decent female specific saddle to go with it, otherwise she'll probably ride it twice. Something like a Selle Italia lady gel flow which my wife likes a lot.

It might be a good saddle but lady flow is a horrible name.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    Before I opened this thread I was going to reply Decathlon :)

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Supersix two sizes too big, then keep it for yourself...
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 230
    I'd say getting a bike for your wife is a fair swap :smile:
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edward.s said:

I'd say getting a bike for your wife is a fair swap :smile:

jim davidson just called asking for his joke book back.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    We got Miss6899 a Willier Luna from Wiggle - discount code and platinum loyalty brought it to £740... a bit over your budget, but if you can find one 2nd hand (and with the chance to try), I would recommend. It's not just pink (in fact it's black), but has geometry to suit a shorty.

I've gone a bit leftfield with that response, but I'm a big fan of how the geometry and build (narrow bars for example) genuinely suits a shorter rider*.

I'm making an assumption here that your wife is on the main portion of the bell curve for women's heights!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • seanoconn
    Ben6899 said:

We got Miss6899 a Willier Luna from Wiggle - discount code and platinum loyalty brought it to £740... a bit over your budget, but if you can find one 2nd hand (and with the chance to try), I would recommend. It's not just pink (in fact it's black), but has geometry to suit a shorty.

I've gone a bit leftfield with that response, but I'm a big fan of how the geometry and build (narrow bars for example) genuinely suits a shorter rider*.

I'm making an assumption here that your wife is on the main portion of the bell curve for women's heights!

Yep, 167 height, long legs, inseam 83cm, I checked the inseam twice to be sure 😂
  • seanoconn
    1 Luna on eBay for £800 ish. Might be hard to source one in budget.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I actually just looked myself and, by golly, they're holding their price at the minute.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/