Cheap 1x9 conversion

Hello,

I have recently gotten back into riding and have a cheap hardtail with a 3x9 set up. Having now learned that 1x seems to be standard I was wondering if I could achieve a quick and cheap conversion (I don't want to spend much as if I keep riding I'll likely get an entirely new bike in a year or so).

The existing rear mech is a 9 speed Shimano Acera RD M3000 https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/acera-m3000/RD-M3000.html

If was to get a wide range 9 speed cassette and a narrow wide chain ring for the front would this mech work in a 1x9 set up (I guess I would need an extension for the mech hanger)?

Is there anything else I'd have to worry about performance wise? I mainly ride on red trails so the bike gets a bit of rough ride but no jumps etc. Would chain drop be an issue with no clutch on the mech? Should I put on a chain guide at the front?

Thanks!

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    NW chainring and properly lengthened chain will prevent most chain drops without a guide, or at least it did on the 1x10 non-clutch mech that I had.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited November 2021
    I've got a 1x11 set up with narrow wide chainring, an SLX derailleur with a clutch that's never been engaged and hasn't dropped a chain yet either. If you do manage to drop a chain then maybe fit a guide then.

Had a 3x9 with the same Acera derailleur and an 11-34 cassette.

Your derailleur will work with an 11-36 according to spec but can usually handle a slightly bigger cassette but maybe still not quite low enough gearing for 1x.

Yeah, on a tight budget I'd fit a hanger extender and aim for the average 1x set up of an 11-42 cassette with a 30t N/W chainring which would give you a decent ratio for climbing and adequate top speed on trails.
  • I've done a 1x9 conversion with the same RD on my hybrid commuter. Used a 10spd chain as was recommended to help with chain retention. No issues so far with no chain guide, although my use case is probably more gentle than yours.
  • Great. Thanks all!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    Yeah converted my old bike for my son - old triple had worn out - stuck a bash guard in place of the outer ring and a NW in place of the middle - been fine.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    2 2x road bikes converted just by chucking off normal rings and slapping on on a NW ring (one off Amazon, one proper manufacturer) - no problems at all but again, road use only so can't comment on off road stuff..

normal 10 speed chains, normal cassettes, normal rear mech, nothing at all on the front.

Main thing is to ensure a straight as poss - slapping the NW on the inside of the crank arm helps loads.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.