Gravel bike. What category Helmet do I choose?

As the title says. Obviously there are specific road and MTB helmets but where does Gravel fit? What should I choose or does it not matter? I like various in both categories but is there some bizarre etiquette that i should be aware of?
I mainly commute in the week and ride at the weekend.
Wilier cento uno.

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    The marketing folks will assure you that you need something uniquely designed for gravel riding.

This is - like most marketing stuff - utter drivel.

The principal difference between road and offroad helmets is whether it has a visor/peak or not. MTB usually do, road don’t for some fashion related reason I think.

Wear whatever is comfortable, fits properly and has the right features you want - ventilation, somewhere to slip glasses into etc.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • emanresu
    emanresu Posts: 320
    I'd suggest a road helmet, visors can interfere with your vision when on the drops.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    emanresu said:

I'd suggest a road helmet, visors can interfere with your vision when on the drops.

I agree.
  • I am not professional, that is why I use road helmet all the time
    I use soclikes.com to enlarge my likes

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    whatever fits you the best and is most comfy.

looking cool doesn't matter if you have a splitting headache all the time or a brain injury.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    I have a Giro MTB helmet with removable visor, which I do remove for road rides, because as mentioned above it compromises vision when riding in the drops. With the visor removed it looks and performs much like their road specific versions IMO.