Large bottles of chain lube for decanting

Hello

Does anyone know if you can get large - say 5litre or so - containers of chain lube that you can decant into smaller containers.

WD do this so was wondering if you could get 'lubes as well

Many thanks

M
The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    edited October 2021
    Finish Line do big containers (1 US gallon) of both dry and wet lube for £80 or £90. The cheapest I can see from a cursory search is Singletrack Bikes at £66.99

https://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m8b36s374p1238/Finish_Line_Cross_Country_Wet_chain_lube_1_US_gallon_3_8_litre_/Lubrication/RS_GB?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-6L684_v8wIVQ-3tCh0OvwCPEAQYBCABEgJcUvD_BwE
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Finish Line do big containers (1 US gallon) of both dry and wet lube for £80 or £90. The cheapest I can see from a cursory search is Singletrack Bikes at £66.99

https://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m8b36s374p1238/Finish_Line_Cross_Country_Wet_chain_lube_1_US_gallon_3_8_litre_/Lubrication/RS_GB?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-6L684_v8wIVQ-3tCh0OvwCPEAQYBCABEgJcUvD_BwE

grazie!
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    If you don't go `bike specific` (don't fall for the hype), you could get any manner of chain lubes for not a lot of money. Air tool lube (low visc), 3in1 type machine oil, sewing machine oil, industrial chain oils, hydraulic oil (various weights), chainsaw oil (mineral or bio but always sticky), EP oil, ATF, engine oil and my favourite chain oil- compounded steam oil (for steam engines) 1000 grade is fantastic in winter and surprisingly clean.
  • MattFalle
    Grazie! Agree completely about the hype - I'm a great fan of 3 in 1 for winter use as I've posted previously but have developed a pechant for dry lubes as they keep everything cleaner - I just baulk at the ridiculous marketing bred pricing....
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,735
    Why so much lube? You going to some kinda "kinky party"?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• MattFalle
    If only, at my age with my knees 😁

I just like to have a stock of stuff - means that being the simpleton I am I won't run out very easily.

Also, if it saves pennies and plastic packaging in the long wrong, it must be A Good Thing.
  • masjer
    If you like 3in1, Lucas air tool lube (same as their Toolbox buddy oil) is about the same weight but more tenacious in the wet.
    A 1 Litre bottle is £8.00, so about 8 times cheaper than most bike oil.
  • masjer
    edited October 2021
    Lucas do a chain lube too, but I wouldn't bother using it for bike use. It's very tacky, so stays in place in the wet but picks up all manner of chain eating gunk.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,735
    MattFalle said:

..but have developed a pechant for dry lubes as they keep everything cleaner ....

Just remember that some dry lubes are a wax base and a carrier so need very vigorous shaking before application. This will apply before you decant from the bulk bottle to the smaller one. :)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• MattFalle

MattFalle said:

..but have developed a pechant for dry lubes as they keep everything cleaner ....

Just remember that some dry lubes are a wax base and a carrier so need very vigorous shaking before application. This will apply before you decant from the bulk bottle to the smaller one. :)
    grazie!

I shall ensure that I peruse the internet to establish suitable wrist strenghtening exercises.
  • MattFalle
    masjer said:

If you like 3in1, Lucas air tool lube (same as their Toolbox buddy oil) is about the same weight but more tenacious in the wet.
    A 1 Litre bottle is £8.00, so about 8 times cheaper than most bike oil.

grazie! Tool factor for purchasing?