emergency brake pad friction materail

Ok, so my bike maintenance scheme had a bit of a fail yesterday when the rear brake started to make a horrible noise - pretty sure it is due to one worn pad, so my ride yesterday had to be cut short.

Since I have a few bike fitted with different brakes (Shimano, SRAM, Formula), it is not overly convenient to carry a spare set of pads for each type so I am asking is there some material that can be put in between the pad and disk as a temporary 'get back home' type fix.

It needs to be quite thin and be cuttable with scissors.
I was thinking of perhaps cardboard or leather (weren't brake pads made from leather back in the day?)

Any other ideas welcome.

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    ok, my maintenance routine is fine, the friction material separated away from the pad - first time I've had that happen - as there is plenty of material on the opposing pad.

The leather I have is too thick to fit and cardboard bends when trying to fit the wheel.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Seriously??!! Any friction material must be securely bonded to the backing plate otherwise it will just shoot out when you first apply the brakes.

(I wasn't aware it was already 01/04/2022)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,514
    If you are going to the effort of carrying something extra, why not just tape a couple of spare pads under the saddle or somewhere? Or just mark it down as a one off and make sure the pads have enough meat left on them before setting off.

As above, if the braking force can tear pads off the backing plate then you're never going to secure anything else in there as a roadside bodge.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited October 2021
    Well one of my relatively new front brake pad's friction material de-bonded on a ride so it's the second time I've heard of it happening.

To get home that day I just stuck the rear pads in the front.

Since then I always keep and carry a set of worn pads with me, better than nothing, would get you home or allow you to finish a ride.

As above, obviously forget the D.I.Y. pads idea, get your wallet out, buy a new set of pads for all your brake types and replace, then keep the part worn ones to carry as spares.
  • 02gf74

Seriously??!! Any friction material must be securely bonded to the backing plate otherwise it will just shoot out when you first apply the brakes.

You're wrong on two counts.
    1. It's 26 Oct.
    2. Material won't shoot out the same reason why pads don't shoot out. Friction material is bonded to pads that sit in a gap in the calliper body. It is the calliper body that prevents pads shooting out.

If the friction material is not stiff, I can foresee the rotor dragging the material towards the front of the calliper.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,514
    Won't it then bunch up at the front of the caliper and jam the brakes on?
    02gf74 said:

If the friction material is not stiff, I can foresee the rotor dragging the material towards the front of the calliper.

• reaperactual
    edited October 2021
    02gf74 said:

1. It's 26 Oct.
    2. Material won't shoot out the same reason why pads don't shoot out. Friction material is bonded to pads that sit in a gap in the calliper body. It is the calliper body that prevents pads shooting out.

What pads do you need? I might have some spare part worn ones. I'll stick 'em in the post for free. 👍
  • photonic69
    02gf74 said:

1. It's 26 Oct.

OK then. You go with that. :o

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I seem to be missing something here. If the friction material can't shoot out for the same reason pads don't shoot out, where did it go?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    On the dubious assumption that you are serious, I would suggest that a better plan is to inspect your pads from time to time and replace them before they are totally worn away or manage by rubbing your shoe on the tyre.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Cardboard is a complete non-starter for obvious reasons.
    Leather might work as a friction material but how will you attach it to the backing plate to keep it in place? Unless it is properly fixed it will simply ruck up and either jam the rotor or be forced out, leaving you back where you started.
    As suggested above, just carry spare pads with you/on the bike.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 02gf74
    In response to the comments.

See my second post. I do inspect my pads regularly so the friction material came off on a ride and I suspect drop downwards.

An option is to carry numerous pads weme or tape the relevant ones to the seatpost.

When I started with hydraulic brakes, my intention was to standardise on shimano xt 4 pot which are long out of production., and as new bikes were added, along came different brands and models.

So if you are going to post, how about suggesting something that may work as a temporary trackside fix as it would be useful for all of on the rare occasions we run out of friction material on our pads rather than being critical.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I just dont brake with the brake thats failed. If its the front put the pads in from the back. Or carry pads like everyone else has said.

Quite sensible to carry pads, innertube, zip ties a quick link and a multi tool if you care so much about a ride being ruined.
  • photonic69
    Two words “preventative maintenance”

• reaperactual
    edited October 2021
    02gf74 said:

So if you are going to post, how about suggesting something that may work as a temporary trackside fix as it would be useful for all of on the rare occasions we run out of friction material on our pads rather than being critical.

To any rider that is unfortunate enough to experience this very rare occurrence of friction material randomly de-bonding. Don't take any notice of the O.P's potentially dangerous hacks.

Pads are inexpensive.

Brakes are important.

Do not attempt a bodge fix under any circumstances, even if it's only temporary.

Buy spare pads and carry them along with the rest of a basic trailside repair kit.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    02gf74 said:

See my second post. I do inspect my pads regularly so the friction material came off on a ride and I suspect drop downwards.

An option is to carry numerous pads weme or tape the relevant ones to the seatpost.

When I started with hydraulic brakes, my intention was to standardise on shimano xt 4 pot which are long out of production., and as new bikes were added, along came different brands and models.

More frequent and better inspections.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • vincesummerskRoxcBTr
    edited October 2021
    As your problem was braking material delaminating, why would putting a loose bit of material in the caliper be any use??
    If you don't want to pay for spare pads just accept you might have to cut a ride short if that happens!
  • JBA
    02gf74 said:

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. You suffered a very rare failure that is unlikely to happen again unless there was a brake pad batch production problem and you have more pads from the same batch.
    Brake pads are relatively cheap and can save your life. Nothing will work as a temporary trackside fix. Just buy spare pads and keep them with you or taped to the bike. That is far more useful and will be be infinitely more successful than trying to cut bits of cardboard or leather to fit.

Have you searched the web for emergency friction material for bicycle disc brakes? If you do you will get a null return. Why? Because it’s a stupid idea.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • photonic69
    Actually I do believe I'm wrong! I'm sure South African Biltong would be just the thing. The proper, unpackaged stuff lasts ages when you try and chew it. It would outlast some Sintered pads.

• 02gf74

As your problem was braking material delaminating, why would putting a loose bit of material in the caliper be any use??

It won't fall out because there will be a hole for the pin.

As for doing a search, which I haven't done, gives 0 results perhaps because nobody thought of doing it?

That does mean it's stupid idea.

If you Googled television before logo baird had come up with the idea, you would have come up with zero results. Does that make it stupid?

Not in my book.

As someone pointed out it is a rare failure so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Yes it makes you very stupid as google didn’t exist before Baird came up with television.
  • 02gf74
    webboo said:

Yes it makes you very stupid as google didn’t exist before Baird came up with television.

How stupid do you need to be to not see the joke?

Answer; very.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Cardboard as brake pads that says it all.
  • reaperactual

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    02gf74 said:

webboo said:

How stupid do you need to be to not see the joke?

Answer; very.
    Most people can see where the joke is
  • JBA
    02gf74 said:

It won't fall out because there will be a hole for the pin.

You're right. It won't fall out. It will just pivot around the pin and then either get chewed up or get forced out of the calliper, leaving you back where you started.

You say you don't want to carry around different sets of pads but you are happy to carry around different shaped pieces of cardboard or leather. What's the difference (apart from pads being useful & effective and cardboard or leather useless)?

I understand the logic behind your thinking but honestly cannot think of a solution other than carrying or attaching spare pads to your bikes.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    just stick a spare set of pads under your seat and they will be safe, available when needed, you won't look a bell sticking bits of cardboard into your calipers and you won't get dead disease and bring embarrasment on your family when people found out you got dead disease because you tried to use cardboard as brake pads.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,325
    What was it that lead me to here?...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    pinno said:

An inappropriate amount of posts indicating bollocks being discussed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,325
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

An inappropriate amount of posts indicating bollocks being discussed.
    I think sir, you are right.

[Although I still think you are a pedant}
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!