Roller tyre for gravel wheel

etsius
etsius Posts: 5
edited October 2021 in Road buying advice
Hello,
I have the Mavic Allroad UST disc, with an inner width of 23mm and I want to use them in my dumb trainer indoors. The recommended tyre size for this wheels is at least 28mm, but most tyres for trainers are 23mm. Actually in the shop they gave me the Tacx 23x622. Will they work, considering that it is for indoor use? Also the inner tube is for 28mm tyres, so I am not sure if they will work as well...

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Just use a normal tyre. No need for trainer tyres.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Normal tyres work but .....
    In my experience they will be noisier, prone to more vibration and will shed rubber from the outer tread thus wear quicker than a dedicated turbo tyre. If your happy running your existing tyre and squaring it off and wearing it quicker than it would otherwise then don't bother swapping it out but I definitely feel the £25 or so is worth it. This is probably even more the case for a more heavily treaded non-smooth gravel tyre
    My last one lasted a good few years whereas the wear and squaring off on a normal tyre is visibly quickly.
    A quick look on wiggle shows they've a 25mm Elite Coperton turbo tyre which may fit better on your wheel.
  • MattFalle
    or just do what everyone did, and the majority still do, before the marketing of the specific turbo tyre and use part worns that really, really don't do any of the above (but don't tell Andrew 'cos he loves a good bit of marketing hyperbole)
  • andyrr
    marketing hyperbole aka my own real life experience but yeah, believe its all a lifestyle choice if you prefer.
    If you've old tyres no longer suitable for outdoor use then fine but as decent tyres these days aren't cheap a £25 turbo tyre could save you money in ghe long run.
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I had an Elite trainer tyre and felt it shed more rubber than my normal tyres. Didn't last any better, in fact given the limited mileage it probably didn't last as long. Tread started separating before it wore out.
  • andyrr
    me-109 said:

I had an Elite trainer tyre and felt it shed more rubber than my normal tyres. Didn't last any better, in fact given the limited mileage it probably didn't last as long. Tread started separating before it wore out.

That seems really crappy tbh. Currently I’m using a Halfords tt tyre, previously a Conti one which could well have been around 10 years old before the tread delaminated and needed binned. When that happened I used an old tyre and really noticed the vibrations - this is on a Kurt Kinetic turbo so maybe others won’t have that problem but as soon as I installed the new tt tyre the comparative smoothness was obvious.
  • etsius
    I forgot to mention that the tyre clearance is 30mm only 🙄

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    I bought the cheapest slick 23mm wire beaded tyre from Planet X and used it on my dumb trainer with both my 29er MTB wheel and my road bike. It’s been fine and has never shed any rubber. Cost me £9.99 a few years back. Vittoria I think it was.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• MattFalle

I bought the cheapest slick 23mm wire beaded tyre from Planet X and used it on my dumb trainer with both my 29er MTB wheel and my road bike. It’s been fine and has never shed any rubber. Cost me £9.99 a few years back. Vittoria I think it was.

this.

everyone did this for decades with ne'er an issue.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    I used an old wheel with a worn rim surface as there is no need for braking. 😉 I then fitted a cheap tyre that I didn't like on the road but was fine on a smooth roller. 🤣
    That tyre lasted years and it is easy to swap a wheel.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

I used an old wheel with a worn rim surface as there is no need for braking. 😉 I then fitted a cheap tyre that I didn't like on the road but was fine on a smooth roller. 🤣
    That tyre lasted years and it is easy to swap a wheel.

this as well
  • MattFalle
    Part worns from the bin at the lbs or qhatever is cheapest anywhere you can find it.

no need to buy into the marketing

#jobjobbed
  • etsius
    Actually there are no tires in the market for rollers with 28-30mm width, so I just got some cheap Vittoria Zaffiro, which seem to be very resistant to everything and will use them for this.

Thank you all for your help!
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,558
    Some tyres can slip on the roller, especially during short hard intervals. It's possibly the slipping that contributes to heat/wear. To solve this problem (without having to increase clamping force) I use belt dressing. A quick spray on the tyre or roller increases grip and stops any slip.