Wheels (Fulcrum, DT Swiss, Campagnolo / Alloy vs Carbon) for 95% Road / 5% Gravel

Hello,

This is my first message in the Forum and it's about wheels! I want to have two sets of wheels (one for the home trainer and one for outdoors use) in my road bike (BMC Roadmachine).

My bike came with a set of Mavic Allroad UST, with a weight of about 1.9 kg and nothing special about them, so I am planning to get an upgrade with the second set of wheels. Some criteria to bear in mind:

- I usually ride at 25-30 km/h in flat terrain, so probably aerodynamics is not the most important thing because I will not take much advantage of it, although it is a nice to have because everybody likes to go a bit faster for no additional effort (except downhill maybe) and high profile wheels look great.

- Where I live there is a long flat windy valley. Although most of the time it is headwind/tailwind, there are some parts with lateral wind as well so, for safety purposes, I prefer the handling with crosswinds to be as easy as possible.

- Because I live near the Alps and I go for long or very steep climbs, lightweight wheels are also nice to have.

- I will use them mostly in a mix of regular well paved roads and secondary roads (paved pathways connecting farms, etc.). I would say that 95% of the usage would be on paved roads in general and 5% in easy gravel (something like sterrato).

- Because of the previous point, I will be using 28mm tyres, which is probably the widest recommended for roads and the thinnest for gravel. I suppose that the optimal internal width would be around 19-20mm or even 17-21mm?

- Also because of the type of roads, I would need wheels that can take some abuse when going in gravel, on potholes or when there are steps on the way. I suppose modern carbon wheels can take this, but maybe it'd better go for alloy?

- For the moment I keep using clinchers, which seem less complicated than tubeless in terms of maintenance or in case of punctures, but I would like the option of using tubeless in the future.

- I have disc brakes, so carbon or alloy are fine.

- Ideally I would be looking for something more reactive than what I have, to accelerate in corners or when climbing, with good handling, with a weight around 1.5 kg, resistant, appropriate for some (very little) offroad and reasonably fast, without spending too much money, given that I am not competing. Of course the aesthetics of medium profile carbon wheels is nice to have, but not a main factor to consider. I am aware it is not possible to get all this :)

The options I was thinking about are the following.

- Fulcrum Racing 3 db. About 500€, internal width of 19mm, for road/gravel, alloy, 1.66kg (I would prefer something lighter, but that's what it is), 28mm profile and good reviews.
-
- Campagnolo Zonda Disc. Similar to the previous model, maybe more road oriented, with very good reviews, 17mm of internal width (maybe too narrow?) and a variable profile 24/27 in front and 27/30 in the back. 1.675 kg of weight.

- DT Swiss ER 1400. Not Campagnolo/Fulcrum that everyone loves, very low profile (21mm) but made for endurance, 1.5 kg only and I can get them for 600€.

- Fulcrum Zero Racing DB. I mention those because of the higher quality bearings and spokes, but being alloy wheels, they are as expensive as some other carbon wheels in the market, although still not too expensive (around 800€). 30mm profile, 1.59kg, inner width of 19mm, to be used for road and gravel.

- Zipp 303 S. This seems to be the perfect set of wheels: 1.5 kg (relatively lightweight), 45mm (aero, although not sure about handling with crosswinds), 800 € (good price), good brand, prepared for 28mm tyres, designed with road and gravel in mind... The only issue is that they are only for tubeless tyres because of the hookless design. It would maybe be worth going tubeless just to get this set of wheels? The bearings and spokes are not, as far as I know, as good as with the Zero Racing but, at this price point, you can't get everything.
-
- Campagnolo Shamal Carbon Disc Brake. A step down in terms of bearings and spokes from the Shamals Ultra / Racing Zero db, but they are carbon wheels. Profiles of 35mm/40mm should be enough to be noticeable for aerodynamics but OK for handling. At 1.575 kg they are not too heavy. They have an internal width of 21mm with road/gravel use in mind and they are supposed to be sturdier than road oriented carbon wheels. They can be used with clinchers and tubeless. They seem to be a perfect match, but they cost 1200 euros, more than twice as much as the Racing 3 db.
-
I think it will be either the Racing 3 db, the Racing Zero db, the DT Swiss ER 1400 or the Shamal Carbon. Any opinions on which ones to get?

Thanks!

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    I had some DT Swiss ER1600 and I think they would be ideal for what you are looking for.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Wider tyres will be the answer, so just find a set of wheels which can take a 28mm or possibly even a 32mm tyre - assuming your bike has clearance.

I think a lot of riders used tyres in this size range for strade bianchi and also paris roubaix this year so shows they are ideal for a mixture of gravel, cobbled and tarmacked surfaces.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    I have some DT Swiss wheels (not the ones you mention). I love them. They are excellent quality, well built, light and easy to service with a good supply of available spares.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• etsius
    etsius Posts: 5
    Thank you for your feedback. I am leaning towards the DT Swiss, which seem right for me. Also the flat parts here are full of turns, so even there the reactivity could be more important than the inertia of wheels with higher profile. The Campy's look very nice though :)