Headset problems

Hi, I recently got a road bike and everything seemed fine. I've been out on a couple of rides and ,last night, noticed the headset was pretty loose. After loosening the stem bolts, I attempted to tightened the headset bolt but it was already very tight.
Removed stem, spacers, etc and noticed:
1. The compressor wasn't fully seated in the steerer tube. I'm not sure if this is a big issue. I know someone has done that to support the spacer above the stem (and still leave a gap between it and the headset cap).
2. Theres a recessed split collar on the top headset bearing. On all my other bikes, this collar had a 'L' shaped cross section so there was very little upstaged from the bearing. This one has a lot of upstand (above the line of the head tube). The headset assembly has a shallow recess but its too shallow to prevent a gap between the top of the head tube and the headset assembly.

3. The collar is a slack fit in the bearing and a slack fit on the steerer tube so even it the gap wasn't there, I'd guess there's still scope for movement,

I did a bit of headset maintenance on my other bikes about 7 years ago, so I have a bit of knowledge but I'm confused how it was fine on delivery (no visible gaps or looseness) to have become loose without an obvious way of fixing it.

Comments