Seat Stay Replacement Issue

Hey All!

First time poster here. I recently bought a 2008 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus with a broke seat stay for cheap:

I found a couple of replacement seat stays, but they are about an inch longer than the original. I replaced the broken seat stay with the longer ones, and the result is the rear shock is partially compressed (about an inch from where it was). I'm wondering if I can make this replacement work, or abandon the project. I don't really want to invest in carbon repair, as I'm trying to keep the build on a budget. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Miles

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    you could try repairing it yourself. A tube fitted (e.g. aluminium or steel) inside the stay then some sort of support (aluminium tube, wrap with glass or carbon fibre) around the stay.

Do not skimp on material, it may not look nice but better that than having it fail.

Ideally you want to find a replacement stay.

Are you able to post a photo of just the stay and another of the damage?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,146

Hey All!

First time poster here. I recently bought a 2008 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus with a broke seat stay for cheap:

I found a couple of replacement seat stays, but they are about an inch longer than the original. I replaced the broken seat stay with the longer ones, and the result is the rear shock is partially compressed (about an inch from where it was). I'm wondering if I can make this replacement work, or abandon the project. I don't really want to invest in carbon repair, as I'm trying to keep the build on a budget. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Miles

If you could find a shock with the same travel but an eye to eye length an inch shorter you'd be pretty close.

I'm not sure how much the seatstay cost, but It might be cheaper to wait for an exact replacement to come available rather than replace the shock.