BB Help Please

2»

Comments

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

or just fit some Lifeline cartridge pads for £4 from Wiggle yhat work just as well as everything else.

For purely aesthetic reasons I'm mega tempted by the Prime aero handlebars (which I know you have & rate highly along with a few others on here) so I could get the pads at the same time.

TBH I think I'd just do that at least initially & maybe upgrade the calipers themselves at a later date.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

or just fit some Lifeline cartridge pads for £4 from Wiggle yhat work just as well as everything else.

For purely aesthetic reasons I'm mega tempted by the Prime aero handlebars (which I know you have & rate highly along with a few others on here) so I could get the pads at the same time.

TBH I think I'd just do that at least initially & maybe upgrade the calipers themselves at a later date.
    sounds mega choices and mega plan.

do it do it do it do it do it do it now
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    Lifelibe brake cables are dirt cheap and good as well, so order the whole lot in one hit.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I can't help thinking we are losing sight here of the purpose of a 'winter hack'. The notion of changing a chainset simply because a few people on the internet decided they didn't like it...well, it's just silly. Did these people even say why they didn't like it? I'd like to read that review.
  • MattFalle

I'd like to read that review.

i wouldn't as its probably written by clubbies
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    edited October 2021
    First, this was about not making needless `upgrades` to a winter bike. Now it's aero handlebars and aesthetics. That was a curve-ball.
    Why not go the whole hog and buy a new frameset and re-build it around the Tektro calipers?
    Each to their own.
  • MattFalle
    I can understand the handlebars to a certain extent - if the existing ones need changing due to wrong size/damage then yeah, why not fit something groovy that he likes?
  • ibr17xvii
    masjer said:

First, this was about not making needless `upgrades` to a winter bike. Now it's aero handlebars and aesthetics. That was a curve-ball.
    Why not go the whole hog and buy a new frameset and re-build it around the Tektro calipers?
    Each to their own.

Yeah I’ll admit that a curveball & I’ll also admit there are nothing wrong (as far as I know) with the handlebars on the bike, I just fancy the Primes.

As I said no other reason apart from aesthetics, I want them & I like them.
  • MattFalle
    I reckon you should buy them and I'm more than happy to fight anyone who says any different.
  • ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

I reckon you should buy them and I'm more than happy to fight anyone who says any different.

No higher recommendation that that.

Bars on the new bike are 42cm which I don't mind but I prefer 40cm so that's how I'm justifying them to myself.

Plus they look cool.
  • MattFalle
    Mate, you don't need to justify them to me - me and my new trackie bottoms think its a banging idea. Bit as I said, anyone says any different and I'll quite happily fight them for you.

I also think Lifeline do 'tape but I bought some Easton stuff from Wiggle a couple of weeks ago that looks mega and was in their sale, so its a winner. £9 or so.

Tbh, you only need one roll of tape - ie what you would normally use for one half of the 'bars on normal 'bars (some may say half of new packet) to do the whole of the Prime aero 'bars as you're only going up to the flats so you may as well buy two pairs of 'bars to use up the new 'tape.
  • ibr17xvii
    Good shout with the tape.

TBH bar tape isn’t something I spend a great deal on anyway particularly on a winter bike cos I always wear gloves (sometimes 2 pairs as I’m always cold) so anything that’s cheap & cheerful and looks decent is good enough in my book.

I’ll have a look at that Easton or Lifeline when I order the bars.

Gone completely OT now so thanks to everyone for the help with a range of subjects on 1 thread.