Are we experiencing a toxic overdose of Bradley Walsh?

Bradley seems a personable enough chap, but on the whole is almost devoid of any talent apart from reading questions quickly on The Chase. His acting is amongst the worst I've ever seen, and yet here he is. Just tonight, he's on both prime time slots (ITV and BBC) with revamp of Blankety Blank- noooooooooooo! and, Beat the Chasers. He even starred in Law and Order -nooooooooooo!
The next one he's starring in, is The Larkins a revamp of The Darling Buds of May. That was bad enough the first time around, but I imagine this latest one will be vomit inducing. Not "perfick".
He's even had a number one album.
Brian Conley ("It's a Puppet!") must be spitting feathers!

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Slightly harsh, he's basically a variety performer in an era where variety doesn't really exist any longer. I haven't seen him in any of his serious acting roles though. His singing is OK, his comedy is fairly basic and inoffensive if not exactly ground breaking and as you say he's personable as a presenter. I've only seen a few episodes of the road trip thing he does with his son but they were a fairly easy watch again without doing anything ground breaking
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    Yup, so he's very ordinary, but also everywhere. I think he's the second highest paid person on TV behind Ant and Dec, who to be fair, are possibly worse.
    It's amazing, he is being headhunted for being mediocre.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    edited October 2021
    In days of companies being afraid of insulting anyone it results in being mediocre and inoffensive as an attractive trait. It is also bland and boring.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
    Genuinely never seen the bloke. Doesn't sound like I've missed much. Not having a TV is a help, though it's a pity I can't ask for a refund of my licence fee.
  • masjer
    pblakeney said:

In days of companies being afraid of insulting anyone it results in being mediocre and inoffensive as an attractive trait. It is also bland and boring.

I see what you're saying. So his star quality is being inoffensive.
  • Pross
    I suspect the target audience for ITV is the sort of people who like what he does. Just look at the adverts they put on during his programmes. The road trip thing is sponsored by Viking Cruises, that should give an idea of who is watching.
  • pblakeney
    masjer said:

pblakeney said:

I see what you're saying. So his star quality is being inoffensive.
    There is a bit more to it than that. I could tell a Billy Connolly joke word for word and it wouldn't be funny. Some people can make even bland tolerable.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    On the bright side at least we have offloaded James Cordon to the Yanks and no longer have to put up with him being everywhere. I'll take Bradley Walsh as the alternative any day.
  • masjer
    edited October 2021
    "There is a bit more to it than that. I could tell a Billy Connolly joke word for word and it wouldn't be funny. Some people can make even bland tolerable."

True, but I bet he'll not be able to make The Larkins tolerable. I've seen he's growing his sidies ready for the role of pop Larkin.

• masjer
    Pross said:

On the bright side at least we have offloaded James Cordon to the Yanks and no longer have to put up with him being everywhere. I'll take Bradley Walsh as the alternative any day.

At least James Cordon has actually made me laugh, whilst Bradley it's just Tumbleweed all the way.
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2021
    masjer said:

Pross said:

At least James Cordon has actually made me laugh, whilst Bradley it's just Tumbleweed all the way.
    If ever there was a sentence to show how people's tastes are different then it was that one. James Bloody Cordon, really?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • masjer
    All I'm saying is, I hope he's not the next James Bond.
  • pblakeney
    masjer said:

All I'm saying is, I hope he's not the next James Bond.

I've as much chance! 🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    A lovable cheeky chappy with an affable charm to the untrained eye. But as a skilled observer there’s definitely something sinister bubbling underneath and as for that putrid vehicle for Bradley’s talentless son!

“I love you dad”
    “I love you son.”

F.uck off.

Apart from that he’s ok.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • masjer
    edited October 2021
    Yes the Barney Walsh situation reminds me of the Beckhams and their multitalented son Brooklyn -shoehorning them in wherever they can. Pure evil.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I’m not a big fan of James Corden however I saw him in one of those National theatre’s productions were it’s live to your local theatre. The Governor it was called he was reasonably good in it.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Pross said:

Slightly harsh, he's basically a variety performer in an era where variety doesn't really exist any longer. I haven't seen him in any of his serious acting roles though. His singing is OK, his comedy is fairly basic and inoffensive if not exactly ground breaking and as you say he's personable as a presenter. I've only seen a few episodes of the road trip thing he does with his son but they were a fairly easy watch again without doing anything ground breaking

Did you seriously just claim that variety isn't a thing any more?

Ant and Dec? Strictly?
  • Pross

Pross said:

Did you seriously just claim that variety isn't a thing any more?

Ant and Dec? Strictly?
    Ant & Dec maybe, no matter whether you like Strictly or not it's not variety. I'm thinking more of those all rounders from the 60s / 70s maybe 80s like Forsyth, Les Dawson, Max Bygraves maybe Morecambe and Wise. I suspect the demographic Bradley Walsh is popular with are from the era that grew up with those.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Possibly. Remember the royal variety performance and all that. To me, the likes of strictly are just am extended segment of that sort of thing.
  • Genuinely never seen the bloke. Doesn't sound like I've missed much. Not having a TV is a help, though it's a pity I can't ask for a refund of my licence fee.

I have never knowingly seen him, or even heard of him. As I have a TV where do I apply for a refund?
  • pblakeney

Possibly. Remember the royal variety performance and all that. To me, the likes of strictly are just am extended segment of that sort of thing.

Strictly is just Come Dancing with bling.
    For the youth, Come Dancing was a programme for oldies when it was current.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    pblakeney said:

Strictly is just Come Dancing with bling.
    For the youth, Come Dancing was a programme for oldies when it was current.

It was a joke back in the day...

What's white and glides across the floor?

Cum dancing.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    He's bearable but he is getting too many gigs.

The Larkins? Give me strength. Its gonna be sickening sweet isn't it? Defo not watching a second of it. Hated the original.
  • masjer
    motogull said:

He's bearable but he is getting too many gigs.

The Larkins? Give me strength. Its gonna be sickening sweet isn't it? Defo not watching a second of it. Hated the original.

I watched It out of curiosity. Never again. It left me feeling queasy. Sickly sweet or what!
    Brad, stick to The Chase and never try to act again! He was so wooden, I've got splinters.
  • pblakeney
    Woody?
    Veronese68 wrote: