Heli coil strength?

I've just had a heli coil fitted for the rear mech to attach to an old frame I have with a non-replaceable aluminium rear hanger. The mechanic who did it said I should be careful with the bike and not race it. It's unlikely, but not impossible, that I might race it again and my peak power would only ever scrape 4 figures on a great day, almost certainly not in a race. Is he right to be concerned? As I said racing on it is only a remote possibility, but it could happen and I'd rather not destroy the bike or hurt myself. What do people think?

TIA

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I'd guess it would be fine, the rear mech isn't really under any large lateral forces even if you are putting out a lot of power. It may be more likely to break in a crash though, which could be what the mechanic was referring to.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    or he's just erring massively on the side of caution

or he may not have a clue

i'd race it if its your race bike otherwise whats the point in gaving it?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    I'd agree with the above, fine in use even if racing. Might be weaker in a crash.
  • Ok great thanks everyone.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    A long while ago i worked for a company making equipment for the Admiralty ( Royal Navy ). Any thread in aluminium that needed to be undone to service a part was fitted with a helicoil when manufactured. The theory being that some ham fisted technician was less likely to strip the thread in a steel helicoil than in an aluminium casting.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    'Racing' has got nothing to do with it. Either you change gear, or you don't.