Bone conduction headphones

Anyone here use them, and if so:
a) are they any good?
b) which ones to use?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,937
    Been using Aftershokz for a couple of years. Replaced my Areopex ones with Openmove one when the former died on me.

Turns out I prefer the cheaper ones (Openmove) as I find them easier to use. Both light enough to ignore and the quality is, to my ears at least, perfectly decent.

Can't say how much it adds to "awareness" when out on the road as above 15kph, I can't hear bugger all due to wind noise anyway.
  • Maybe try some of those "Cat Ear" things. I thought these looked ridiculous a few years ago, but a good idea in principle. Tried to fashion something similar on my own, and the principle does actually work, so if you're shox are being drowned-out by wind, might be worth a go (if you can handle looking like a sideburned twonk)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Ears-AirStreamz-Cycling-Noise-Reducer/dp/B077PPCG4G/ref=asc_df_B077PPCG4G/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=341222802894&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11897436899902029583&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007230&hvtargid=pla-567767342569&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I've got Aftershokz Aeropex which I use on the bike, I do also have OpenMoves as well. Like JimD666, I would probably buy the OpenMoves over the Aeropex. The Aeropex have better battery life, but they sound basically the same and the OpenMoves charge via standard USB-C rather than a proprietary cable. I also bought the OpenMoves when my first Aeropex died, but the warranty support is actually excellent so I easily got a replacement. I now use the OpenMoves for running paired to a watch so I can leave the phone at home.

I'm definitely a fan of bone conduction for outdoor activities, it does reduce what you can hear to some extent but nowhere near as much as other options. I can still easily hear the beeps from my computer and can hear enough of my surroundings to know more about the vehicles around me than my radar can tell me.
  • +1 for Aftershokz.
    Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work in Ladbrokes
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    edited September 2021
    I think I'll ask for a pair of these as a Christmas present.

Read a few reviews that say the Open Moves have a less flexible construction around the ear loops, is that correct?

These Trekz Air versions seem to be virtually the same weight (1g more) and it would seem have the more flexible, presumably softer ear loops, so I'm wondering if they might be a better bet.

https://sigmasports.com/item/Aftershokz/Trekz-Air-Wireless-Headphones/H251

Not read up on them, or used a pair, so assume you can adjust volume, pause, and skip tracks back and forth with controls on the sides....?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,937
    I'll agree that ear loops are solid, but it's never been an issue for me. Fit is comfortable even over glasses.

For me at least the only downside is I can't wear them under a skullcap or anything else that covers the ears for warmth. The additional pressure makes them uncomfortable at that point. It's only an issue when cycling or walking the mutt.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    +1 for aftershokz openmove
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    Borrowed my partners Aftershokz, and they are awesome - my commute times are down by about 5 minutes each way when I have some tunes on, and no serious degradation to what I can hear.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18