Shakedry any good ?

Evening all
I have my 60th birthday coming up in November , fancy a Shakedry of Emma but would like to know if they are worth it.
I cycle all year round, rain or shine (not ice or gale force winds mind you ) will I get good use from one or will it be just stashed in the back pocket ?
How versatile are they ?
Looked at one tonight at £340 , a lot of money .
Any advice , Emma would appreciate !
Many than
ILG

Comments

• I have one. It's excellent. Get use out of it most of the year with some good layering underneath it.
  • I have a Castelli Idro. It cost about £200 a few years ago. I expect they're more now. Still the most expensive piece of cycling clothing I own. Yes, shakedry is very good. As far as I can tell, the only water that gets through is what runs down my neck! Close fitting, but will go over a base layer/long sleeve jersey, or even a soft-shell jacket, just. I also wear it under a long sleeve jersey sometimes, as a windproof layer, on cool but dry days. Quite fragile, I wouldn't want to wear it riding where it might get snagged by brambles, etc. Packs down small enough for a back pocket, but I usually put it in a bottle cage (in a plastic bag).
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    edited September 2021
    @ilovegrace in a word No, it's not good.

If you think you might ride in the rain, and you're not a fan of getting overly wet, then it's likely the best purchase you will ever make, it's outstanding.

To my knowledge there are 5 companies who have, or are making jackets with the material.

Gore (Naturally) - few different cuts and versions
    Rapha
    Mavic (Probably not anymore)
    7 Mesh Oro
    Castelli Idro and Idro 2

Sizing and cut/fit are different, and I'm pretty sure there is a good review somewhere that covers Castelli, 7Mesh and Gore.

For the record, I have a Gore one with the yellow (yellow bits are Gore active material) cuff bits (And a panel on the back) for higher vis - this is a fairly generous fit, and just about packs down small enough to go into a jersey pocket, but it sticks out if you know what I mean.
    It's a high quality bit of kit, managed to bag that for half price.
    As it's more generous in fit, you could wear this as a top layer over pretty much anything within reason.

Additionally I nabbed a 7mesh Oro version again for half price, this is lighter, and much more of a race fit than the Gore, but has no high vis elements.
    IIRC it weighs around 100g, and packs down super small, you could pop it in a saddle bag if you wanted, although you'd have to be careful not to catch it in the zip, as I suspect that would ruin it.
    Being a more snug fit, this would be suited to having with you on a warmer ride where you want the insurance against the weather, and it won't slow you down or flap about like a bin bag.
    I 'think' the Castelli sits inbetween these fit wise.

They are VERY breathable, and probably one of the best items I have ever bought - just wish they had developed a few more colourways. I know someone bought out some blue ones a while back, so I thought that might be a turning point, and I also recall an article/review where it stated that Gore were busy working on other colour options, but that must be a good 2-3 years ago now, and apart from the blue one, nothig else has surfaced :-(

EDIT: Just seen the cost you mentioned!
    My Gore was £140, and my 7Mesh was £125 - I don't think I could justify £340 on one, I have to be honest - that seems really high, was it an insulated one or something?

Millets/Blacks sometimes had some good deals, and also they used to crop up on ebay, either traders, or nearly new ones.

EDIT 2: Wow, just looked at prices, there are no bargains out there are there!
    You don't want the insulated one if that is what you are looking at, as it is not packable.
    In this weird messed up world we live in, the Rapha jacket is the current 'bargain' at £220!

*Quite a few places have the Idro 2 for circa £220 as well.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • As ever, fantastic advise and it is very much appreciated .
    I talked to the guy at the bike shop last night , it was the idro top of the range in large for £340,far to tight for me , I am 5 10, 40inch chest 33 waist .
    He was saying they have never sold anything less than Large, they run so small.
    Sigma have the Gore one due in in Nov for £260.
    Going to check out the Rapha.
    Emma said thanks .
    regards
    ILG
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    GCN seem to like shakedry
    https://youtu.be/i0pzZ0Nftmc

Abd on the plus side, if you don’t like the jacket I’ll be happy to take it off your hands for half price 👍
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Sigma have the Gore one due in in Nov for £260.

The Gore C5 1985 is the most generous cut of all the shakedry as far as I am aware. I have one for winter as I can get it over a winter jacket with full rear pockets. Be warned though, in windy and wet conditions it will act like a parachute when the wind catches it, even when fully zipped up!

Don't go for the 'race' version, it is a super slim cut. I wear a small in both and the slim cut version is at least 3-4 inches smaller in the chest.

Great jackets though.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    daniel_b said:

They are VERY breathable, and probably one of the best items I have ever bought - just wish they had developed a few more colourways. I know someone bought out some blue ones a while back, so I thought that might be a turning point, and I also recall an article/review where it stated that Gore were busy working on other colour options, but that must be a good 2-3 years ago now, and apart from the blue one, nothig else has surfaced :-(

Rapha sold a limited edition pink version last year and sold out very quickly, but nothing since!

https://bikerumor.com/2020/11/09/exclusive-rapha-pro-team-gore-tex-jackets-game-changing-shakedry-color-visibility/

• As ever, fantastic advise and it is very much appreciated .
    I talked to the guy at the bike shop last night , it was the idro top of the range in large for £340,far to tight for me , I am 5 10, 40inch chest 33 waist .
    He was saying they have never sold anything less than Large, they run so small.
    Sigma have the Gore one due in in Nov for £260.
    Going to check out the Rapha.
    Emma said thanks .
    regards
    ILG

My idro is a medium. I'm 5 11, about 65 kg, chest and waist a bit less than you. As I said, its a snug fit, but will go over a softshell.
  • Rapha ordered in XL
    thanks again
  • daniel_b

Rapha ordered in XL
    thanks again

Do let us know what you make of the Rapha jacket please :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

Rapha ordered in XL
    thanks again

Do let us know what you make of the Rapha jacket please :-)
    Will try on to check fit. Then back to Emma until my birthday in November. Should be wet enough weather then to be able to report back.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    Am I missing something? Who the hell is Emma? And does grace know about Emma?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • daniel_b
    seanoconn said:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    edited September 2021
    One I love and the other "I like a lot .
    daniel_b said:

seanoconn said:

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    How long does the DWR coating on these last? If going by any of my expensive Gortex walking jackets as comparison I’d be loathe to spend that cash on a cycling jacket. Despite taking great care and reproofing with Nikwax/Graingers etc I find im quite disappointed as they don’t last as long as I think they should.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613

How long does the DWR coating on these last? If going by any of my expensive Gortex walking jackets as comparison I’d be loathe to spend that cash on a cycling jacket. Despite taking great care and reproofing with Nikwax/Graingers etc I find im quite disappointed as they don’t last as long as I think they should.

Shakedry doesn't rely upon DWR.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Shakedry jackets are just a Goretex membrane.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918

Goretex doesn't need a DWR coating.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416

Not strictly true - most GoreTex jackets have an inner layer, a durable outer DWR layer and a GoreTex membrane sandwiched in between. I guess the Shakedry technology is completely different from the usual stuff.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• daniel_b
    edited September 2021
    Yep shakedry retains it's performance even after going through the wash.

Zero degradation.

Combined with the breathability, makes it worth the cash to my mind.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

Not strictly true - most GoreTex jackets have an inner layer, a durable outer DWR layer and a GoreTex membrane sandwiched in between. I guess the Shakedry technology is completely different from the usual stuff.
    As I understand it, the DWR treated layer is protective and is treated so that it doesn’t soak through and impact on breathability. It’s the goretex membrane that provides the waterproofing but that’s more easily damaged. Hence the instruction to not wear backpacks etc. Or something.
  • chewywahid
    chewywahid Posts: 28
    edited September 2021
    I bought mine in 2018, so the first iteration, for £115. It's the best piece of cycle clothing I own since the Gabba. I take it on most rides all year round.

I'm flabbergasted at the cost of the ShakeDry now! :o A cyclist and his money are soon parted. :p
  • When you see this https://absoluteblack.cc/hollowcage-carbon-ceramic-oversized-derailleur-pulley-cage ,then you cant help but wonder if the bike industry is just taking the p**s out of us poor cyclists .
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918

The DWR is only to stop the outer fabric layer from wetting. The Goretex membrane is both waterproof and breathable. The DWR does nothing to stop the water penetrating the garment, that is done by the Goretex.
  • Afternoon all
    Update on he Rapha Shakedry.
    I received the Jacket as a present for my 60th birthday.
    I am 12 stone 49 chest 33 waist 5ft 11 with wide shoulders.
    The jacket was for year round wet weather riding so needed to accommodate my winter clothing. I contacted Rapha and they recommended the XL .
    I tried it on and felt ok so was put away for my birthday,
    On my birthday I went for a short ride in the a strong wind and thought I had made a big mistake the jacket was flapping all over and made a hell of a noise.
    So, after a far bit of thought I decided to buy another one in Large and send the XL back if a better fit .
    When it came you could say it was tight fitting to the point , if I wanted to reach into my back pocket I may of ripped it.
    Here we have the xl slightly to large and the Large slightly to small , so in the end decided on the XL.
    This morning I did a 2 1/2 hr ride, half of which was in torrential rain , I can tell you now , not a drop got through.
    I have trained and competed in running and cycling for 40 years and wore the first Gortex running Jacket in 1987 .
    Over the years I have used numerous "water proof & breathable " jackets and none comes close to this one.
    If you are considering buying a Shakedyry and have the funds and, do the riding to justify one then I would say go for it.
    I have had some kit over the years that has been the "best I have ever bought.
    I think this jacket may it.
    regard
    ILG