Removal of rear traingle pivot press pin

hi i wondered if anyone could help with how to remove the pin holding the rear shock in place. it must be removable as how else would i change or service the shock?

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    edited October 2021
    Do you have the service manual?
    Have you contacted the frame manufacturer for one or asked how to remove it?

If you are prepared to risk damaging the frame, then support the other side on a block of wood and cloth to avoid paint damage, heat the link with a hair dryer (aluminium expands more than steel. Assuming the pin is steel. Can be tested with a magnet), then using a hammer and a drift gently tap the pin and look carefully for any movement
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I suspect that all the hair dryer will do is knacker your paint work. The pin will probably just tap out, however it might be directional.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    No. I've had a blow torch on a frame before. You need common sense and know when to stop before paint starts to be damaged.

If a hair dryer is a worry use boiling water.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    edited October 2021
    im sure the taper is visible in the top picture so it was tapped in from the bottom picture side.

Tap the tapered end to push it back the way it came from in case it is directional.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    02gf74 said:

No. I've had a blow torch on a frame before. You need common sense and know when to stop before paint starts to be damaged.

If a hair dryer is a worry use boiling water.

When I go in my mates bike shop he’s always got the hair dryer out Not. If you need to start heating something to loosen it, you got major problems. This is Just how do you get this pin out, not that it’s seized in place.