Roubaix frame size advice

alxb
alxb Posts: 15
edited September 2021 in Road beginners
Hi, I'm looking into buying a Specialized Roubaix Sport 2022, when it will be on stock šŸ™ .

I'm not sure about buying a 52 or a 54. I have 169,5 without shoes.
According to the manufacturer 52 is up to 170 and 54 above. Also I tend to have the arms a bit shorter relative to the body.

Since I might have to buy it online I was thinking to buy a 52 and in case it's too short to replace the 90 stem with 110. Probably an adjustable stem like Deda adj since I prefer a more upright position.

I know that fitting a longer stem is a common practice, the question is how much is too much? Will the bike be stable for emergency braking ?

Also is future shock 1.5 compatible with stems from other brands than Specialized?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have a 2019 in 52 size with a 90mm stem . I am 167 tall . It fits me and I think you will find it perfect.
    If you prefer a more upright position I think the 90mm stem will be ok.
    Over the years on various bikes I have used various lengths of stem and never had any problems with any length.
    Any stem for a standard 1 1/8 in steerer will fit.
    You will love the bike.

• alxb
    alxb Posts: 15
    Thanks, sounds very encouraging.
    Now the challenge is finding a bike!
    So far I found a 54 but I'm hesitating since I think my size is 52.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,380
    The received wisdom* is that you're always better off buying the smaller bike and adjusting/adding to make it fit than buying the larger one and trying to do the same.

Good luck

*after several years of reading this forum
    Wilier Izoard XP