CAADX Tiagra mis-shifting under load

Hi all,

Bit of background, I've been cycling for over 10 years and have done plenty of my own maintenance/bike building etc in that time but this has got me completely stumped.

My CAADX tiagra is mis-shifting on a couple of sprockets but only under load (slipping from larger to smaller sprockets). It's an 11-34 cassette and miss-shifts on the 26 and 23 sprockets, but only under load when on the small chainring. A couple of months back I fitted a new chain and cassette, which worked fine for a few weeks (and several hundred miles) but then the mis-shifting started. The tiagra shifters themselves are only a few months old (the original shifters both broke within a couple of months of each other earlier this year), I've re-cabled the bike with optislick inner and outer cables and this week I even fitted a new derailleur hanger but to no avail, the bike is still mis-shifting on the same sprockets.

I'd really appreciate any ideas, I'm at my wits end!

Cheers,
Nick

Comments

• How old /wornis the small chainring on the front as its really the only thing you don't mention
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476

How old /wornis the small chainring on the front as its really the only thing you don't mention

Thanks for the reply, the chainset is about two and half years old and has done maybe 5000-6000 miles, so not too much wear in the scheme of things. I've double checked and the teeth on the small ring don't look worn.
  • I'm sure you've checked but is the derailleur hanger aligned 100%. IMHO mis shifts in the middle of the cassette are 'normally' due to that issue.

Apart from that - nothing obvious I can think of. I'm sure others will chip in.

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    I’d go with misaligned hanger too. Just because it’s new doesn’t mean it’s aligned. I bought an xtool one a few years back. Basic and does the job. Might be cheaper just to get your LBS to do the alignment and index it for you.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Hanger gets my vote too. Alignment tool is not expensive and is easy to use, worth it for the amount of time it can save chasing minor shifting issues.
  • photonic69

• nickel
    Thanks all for the replies, I never knew that even a new hanger could still need alignment; everyday's a school day! Hanger alignment tool ordered, hopefully that sorts it :)
  • photonic69
    nickel said:

Thanks all for the replies, I never knew that even a new hanger could still need alignment; everyday's a school day! Hanger alignment tool ordered, hopefully that sorts it :)

Yeah, my son mangled his rear mech a while back. Had to get a new hanger and rear derailleur. When I put the new hanger on it was way out and needed quite a bit of "encouragement" to get it spot on. Good luck

• nickel
    Hi all, quick update: had a go at aligning the hanger at the weekend, it was bent inward by 1cm at the rim in the 6 o'clock position so I realigned it and did a test ride yesterday, 30 miles and several steep climbs with blissfully indixed non-slipping gears. Thanks for the help :)