Another possible mistake I've made...

Hello

I have a attached or I should say my local bicycle shop have attached a 1/2 X 1/8 IZUMI single speed chain to my bicycle.

The problem is it's too tight in my opinion.

They have removed some of the links and added a half link to solve a problem that they thought there was too much play in the chain originally.

The free wheel is a Shimano SF-1200 18t and the chain wheel is a SR 39t (I think...)

In the appearance stakes I think the chain looks to wide, can I assume you can buy narrower single speed chains?

Maybe a chain tensioner should of been used?

Or can anyone recommend a narrow single speed chain? Up to £25 price range...

Or a bigger chain ring?

Many thanks for any answers.

Comments

• Actually the chain ring is 42t...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Chain tension/slack is typically adjusted at the dropout, not by removing/adding links. What bike is this?

1/8 chains are all the same width, hence the name. Narrower would mean going to 3/32, but your sprockets and chainring would also need to be 3/32 in order to be compatible.
  • Hello

The bicycle is a Raleigh Record Ace circa 1984.

The chain ring would be fine for 3/32 but the sprocket is for a 1/8 chain (Shimano SF-1200 18 tooth) I believe.

The drop out screws are as far as they go...sorry bicycle at home so about 90% sure on that fact.

Thanks for putting me right about the width sizes.

Thank you.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Finding a 3/32 sprocket shouldn't be difficult. The record ace has sloping dropouts which should give you a bit of adjustment without adding/removing links. You could just run a single speed chain tensioner..
  • Hello

Thanks for the replies.

The tensioner is prob the way to go...

Thank you
  • Thanks I think the single speed chain tensioner will be the way to go.

Thank you for your replies.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    There is no need for a chain tensioner.
    Simply screw the drop out screws in or out to move the wheel in the frame. If you can not remove the chain slack that way you need to shorten the chain.
  • Thanks Lesfirth... :)