Bargain Vertical bike rack for 4 bikes?

Hi All

Ive had a search but i was getting very old results with links out of date.

I want a bike shed to put the family bikes in. These are not high end bikes. Mines ok, the wifes was £250, and the kids bikes are nothing special.

if i just got a regular bike shed, they would all be one in front of another and a ball ache to get mine out, if its at the back.

So ideally, i want them vertically side by side. I dont have the shed yet, so i can have it wide enough, with double doors, so i dont have to stagger them (one higher than the other).
It'll be a shed, so the back wall will only be so strong, so fixing things to hang the bikes from doesnt seem ideal. Though i could reinforce the back wall with some plywood or something.

A freestanding rack that i could bolt to the concrete base seems ideal but the ones i can find seem quite expensive. i need to buy the shed too, so it gets expensive quickly once you add it all up.

Has anyone done something similar and can suggest something i perhaps havent thought of yet?

Cheers

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    edited September 2021
    I'm trying to picture what you want, and I think it is something like this?

What is your shed made out of?

I would be inclined to bolt some 4 X 2 in there, and secure some sheets of marine play to it, then use something like these planet X hooks to hang the bikes (The marine ply sheets enabling you to easily alter the height of the hooks), but if you judge it right you can make sure the rear most wheel is resting on the ground to take the bulk of the weight.

https://planetx.co.uk/i/q/BN3FOLDWALLH/3-wall-mounted-folding-bike-hangers-bundle?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4eaJBhDMARIsANhrQABy4x003U_xPYyWSQDJM1TCEasky4wxnAM44wZjEnDc68yc7kli8KwaAke_EALw_wcB#BN3FOLDWALLH

Apologies if I have misunderstood!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    In my garage my bikes are hung from the roof. I have a length of 3in x 2in wood fastened to the roof joists. The front wheels hang off it on some big red hooks off Ebay. The 3x2 is just far enough from the wall so the wheels rest on the wall. There is little force on the wall. If you do not get the spacing right it is no problem to unscrew t the hooks and move them along the 3x2.
    I hope this makes sense.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I did pretty much exactly what Dan B suggests in the shed at my old house. I got a pair of 2x6 planks which were the same width as the shed's back wall and screwed them into every vertical beam of the wall so that the whole structure bore the weight, then attached very similar hooks. I used 2 planks as the hooks require about 30cm of space to screw into, so I effectively doubled them to a 2x12 board.

I had deliberately bought a decent shed from a local supplier though knowing I'd be doing this rather than a flimsy piece of crap from B&Q, so do consider that as you haven't got the shed yet. It was completely solid, didn't shift at all.

I also put a third plank lower down where the fork ends sat so that they had something to rest on which wasn't the shed wall.

A picture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y-OqiyF6L06zP_F7XFPQzqphvjM73BOU/view?usp=sharing
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited September 2021
    I asked a similar question for a storage solution, only for one, possibly two bikes and got some great advice. 😎

I'll throw this one I nearly went for into the mix. A bit pricey for what it is and I needed a long hook version which was extra so went with something else in the end:-

https://youtu.be/aTd-DFgaSMg

• Thanks Guys, yes, that is exactly what i meant.

daniel_b
    Thanks, i dont have the shed yet, so i can get whatever is appropriate. Are those bracket things really £3 for 3? or am i missing something? Ive been looking at bike storage options for a while and some of the prices are crazy.

I was a little put off of brackets with hooks round the wheel as i was worried about taking the paint off the rim etc. These look padded though, and since id have the wheel on the ground (i dont need to "hang it" off the floor) it would probably be fine. Have you had any problems? I had seen the Clug clips and was tempted by those, but these seem hard to beat at this price.

the kids bikes are still small so i'd need to move the hooks up the wall as they get bigger bikes. That shouldnt be an issue though.

whyamihere
    Was it a deliberate choice to have the front wheel off for storage? how tall is your shed? I was planning to sit the bike on the rear wheel and hold the front wheel to the wall.

Thanks again
  • I got two of the clug things after asking on here, and they are doing the trick. I screwed a piece of wood between two of the vertical frame planks, and then screwed the clugs into that. Will add another if my other bike ever leaves the turbo in the loft.
  • daniel_b
    champ222 said:

Thanks Guys, yes, that is exactly what i meant.

daniel_b
    Thanks, i dont have the shed yet, so i can get whatever is appropriate. Are those bracket things really £3 for 3? or am i missing something? Ive been looking at bike storage options for a while and some of the prices are crazy.

I was a little put off of brackets with hooks round the wheel as i was worried about taking the paint off the rim etc. These look padded though, and since id have the wheel on the ground (i dont need to "hang it" off the floor) it would probably be fine. Have you had any problems? I had seen the Clug clips and was tempted by those, but these seem hard to beat at this price.

They are indeed that cheap, not that cheap when I bought them, and I think I got them through a different retailer - you have to pay postage with PX is all, not sure how much it is, but maybe you can add some other consumables onto the order to offset the cost.

I've used these hooks with mountain bikes, kids bikes and road bikes/hybrids.

The Clug kit looks lovely, and I'd likely use that if I was storing in my house, as it has nice aesthetics, but as you say, it's fairly tasty price wise versus these cheap as chips hooks - plus if I read it properly they are sold on a wheel width basis, where as the big hooks will cover pretty much any eventuality - aside from deep carbon rims, but you wouldn't want to hang one of those on there anyway!

Hanging bikes completely off the ground is also fine, I do that sometimes if the hooks are higher, and I just can't be bothered to shift them - for example childrens bikes are perfectly happy hanging off a high up hook, and if you/an adult are getting them out, then no issues.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • thanks again.

trying to work out how much width i'll need for the shed. I want them side by side. right now its easy because the kids bikes are small, but if they end up with full side bikes eventually... thats a lot of space with 760mm wide bars... i'll have to stagger them when that time comes i guess. Either one above the other, so the handlebars arent clashing, or two of them upside down maybe.... i dont want to end up with a shed thats too small
  • daniel_b
    Deffo build in plenty of room for expansion ;-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    My decision to remove the front wheels was to avoid the problem of the bars clashing. I used velcro loops to hold the bar to the top tube so that the bars were at 90 degrees, which massively reduced the amount of room needed. The back wall of my shed was about 2m tall from memory.
  • Thanks guys

Ive been trying to figure that out. a lot of sheds arent actually very tall, and pent sheds are usually lower at the back.

I was working with a rough "max length" that i measured off the wifes bike which is a bit smaller than mine and i was starting to wonder if they would fit at all.

I then found out that approximately zero bike manufacturers list max length of the bike in the specs, so i'm going on wheelbase plus the wheel diameter, which i was reluctant to do, as i assumed it was rim diameter. Google suggests its actually tyre diameter. so adding that to the wheelbase is coming out at about 185cm ish length, which should be ok.

in the short term i can just put my bike and the wife bike next to each other and slot the kids bikes in the middle as they will be much lower anyway.

Working in Feet for sheds is doing my head in.