Decent road clothing brands that don't cost the earth.

2»

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,644

Might give Galibier a try. I've got mostly DHB & Endura, but the lycra on DHB bibs doesn't last well - I think it doesn't cope with sweat, though I like the fit now (it used to be awful). I'm still using Endura FS260 jerseys I bought 11 years ago, and one pair of their shorts of the same vintage (though the leg length is silly short).

Same here with the endura FS260, at least 10 years and still going strong, not regularly worn though to be fair. Just bought another on sale.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987
    edited October 2021
    seanoconn said:

Might give Galibier a try. I've got mostly DHB & Endura, but the lycra on DHB bibs doesn't last well - I think it doesn't cope with sweat, though I like the fit now (it used to be awful). I'm still using Endura FS260 jerseys I bought 11 years ago, and one pair of their shorts of the same vintage (though the leg length is silly short).

Same here with the endura FS260, at least 10 years and still going strong, not regularly worn though to be fair. Just bought another on sale.

I didn't realise that they were still a thing. I just looked at the current jerseys, but in their current iteration, it looks like you're wearing a bööb-tube over the jersey. Weird.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,644

seanoconn said:

I didn't realise that they were still a thing. I just looked at the current jerseys, but in their current iteration, it looks like you're wearing a bööb-tube over the jersey. Weird.
    I was looking all over my endura jersey for a label to tell me the model so I could possibly buy another then gave up. The other day I happened to notice my jersey sitting on a pile of washing with FS260 plastered in big letters on the sleeve! 😂
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958

seanoconn said:

Endura have never exactly been at the vanguard of styling. But they make decently priced plain black shorts that happen to have the chamois in the right place.

What they do tend to do is fanny around with designs and make them worse, for no obvious reason.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,939

In their iteration from maybe 3-5 years ago, they sold standard leg length, and long leg length - I bought one standard leg by accident, and they are almost hotpants, so those are for the turbo only, the long leg ones are superb though.
    They also at the time made narrow, normal or wide pads, to suit different posteriors - I went narrow for my Arione saddle, and worked a treat.

Not sure if they still make them in all those sizes - would hope so.

Only issue I had, which I think someone else mentioned, were the grippers decided to come off on a couple of pairs, and also the pads on a couple have kind of folded over in the middle, though they still seem fairly comfy.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    daniel_b said:

They also at the time made narrow, normal or wide pads, to suit different posteriors - I went narrow for my Arione saddle, and worked a treat.

Not sure if they still make them in all those sizes - would hope so.

Been checking them recently. Their top-end Pro-SL bibs still do the three pad widths along all sizes. I'm unsure how an XS-sized rider would need a wide pad, as these are likely to have narrow hips, but the option is there.

As an aside, I'm looking to complement my beloved Castelli Omloop, as it's getting a bit old. Any suggestions? Apparently the new Nanoflex ones ditched the long legs. I specifically want thermal bibs to pair with leg warmers for the flexibility.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,939
    edited October 2021
    Oh bugger, they have screwed up the wonderful Omloop :'(

I have one new pair unopened, and two that I am using - that's a right pita, why tinker with such a good design.

They were pretty damned unique to be honest, I have thermal shorts made by La Passione, Rapha, Ale and Giordana, and all are fine, and pretty good, but you'd need knee warmers to make them similarly effective as the omloops.

Edit: Looking at this pic, they still seem pretty long?

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Unlike @pippi_langsamer-2 I find Le Col shorts to be fine, no issue with the grippers. maybe I've got slightly chunkier legs. medium fit fine - 33" waist, 5'10", 75kg (ish). Tops are a different matter. I'd normally take a 40 Regular suit/top, with a smaller chest but broader shoulders. So I find a Large is a better fit than Medium for me.
    I've just binned some 260 shorts that lasted a few years, the last in trainer duty only. Good pad and sizing, eventually went saggy. I've a 260 top that is a slightly looser cut than the Le Col.
    I have a couple of Sugoi winter tops that are great on sizing, fit and quality but might be hard to find.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    daniel_b said:

Oh censored , they have screwed up the wonderful Omloop :'(

I have one new pair unopened, and two that I am using - that's a right pita, why tinker with such a good design.

They were pretty damned unique to be honest, I have thermal shorts made by La Passione, Rapha, Ale and Giordana, and all are fine, and pretty good, but you'd need knee warmers to make them similarly effective as the omloops.

Edit: Looking at this pic, they still seem pretty long?

The picture looks indeed long. My (our!) worries are based off a comment on a wiggle review. I guess there's only one way to find out!
  • briantrumpet

seanoconn said:

Endura have never exactly been at the vanguard of styling. But they make decently priced plain black shorts that happen to have the chamois in the right place.

What they do tend to do is fanny around with designs and make them worse, for no obvious reason.

The only trouble with the FS260 shorts is that the front part of the pad isn't large enough to cover one's modesty. Well, not mine, anyway ;)
  • briantrumpet
    daniel_b said:

In their iteration from maybe 3-5 years ago, they sold standard leg length, and long leg length - I bought one standard leg by accident, and they are almost hotpants, so those are for the turbo only, the long leg ones are superb though.

My 'standard' pair only get worn in France, when the sun's out, and there's an opportunity to move the tan line north.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958

seanoconn said:

The only trouble with the FS260 shorts is that the front part of the pad isn't large enough to cover one's modesty. Well, not mine, anyway ;)
    You have them on the wrong way around.
  • briantrumpet

seanoconn said:

You have them on the wrong way around.

What, the straps should go under my legs? Sheesh, no-one ever told me.