Dissertation Questionnaire - Motivations for Road Cycling

Hi all,

For my University dissertation I am investigating motivations for Road Cycling, and am looking for road cyclists (anyone who rides on the road is ideal) to answer my questionnaire. If you have 5-10 minutes to complete it to help my research, I would really appreciate that, and any feedback/comments you may have are also welcome. Here is the link:

https://viis.abdn.ac.uk/snapwebhost/s.asp?k=162972794647

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    Done.
  • Done.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Done.

4 replies and nobody has slagged off the survey yet so you can consider it a good effort!

Obviously "if it's not on Strava it didn't happen" = strongly agree!
  • Has your survey been approved by your supervisor and where is the PIS?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    Done, done done.........
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Done!
  • mrb123 said:

Done.

4 replies and nobody has slagged off the survey yet so you can consider it a good effort!

Cut above the normal standard, seeing as the questions don't contradict each other, are answerable, and don't take best part of an hour to wade through.

Well done.
  • Done. Why is Scotland separate from the UK but Wales, England and NI are lumped together a 'Rest of the UK'.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Done. Why is Scotland separate from the UK but Wales, England and NI are lumped together a 'Rest of the UK'.

Aberdeen innit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqCZe3WA-zE
  • Done
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Done. Why is Scotland separate from the UK but Wales, England and NI are lumped together a 'Rest of the UK'.

Done.

Thought the same.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    Done - this was a very doable survey . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Also done. Essentially I answered that I don't give a shit for most of them. I find Generation V (v for vanity) quite odd, personally.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    The best survey of its type I have completed, well done! You should maybe have a comments box though, I ride on road and mtb; my annual total includes mtb, which might make my survey result look large.
    Another area you haven't really considered is the sense of freedom, and for some of us, it takes us back to our childhood, and all the baggage that comes with!
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    mrb123 said:

Obvs. :D

• elbowloh
    davep1 said:

The best survey of its type I have completed, well done! You should maybe have a comments box though, I ride on road and mtb; my annual total includes mtb, which might make my survey result look large.
    Another area you haven't really considered is the sense of freedom, and for some of us, it takes us back to our childhood, and all the baggage that comes with!

I think the only thing i would look at is how the pandemic has affected peoples responses. The answers to the questions on how many times I've cycled and whether alone or in a group for the past 12 months are vastly different compared to any other year I've been on road bikes.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Argh, go on then, i'll be the first "naysayer"

Good survey from what I saw, but not until the top of the second page did it talk about "recreational road cycling"..... so not for me, as someone who only rides for transport, so closed it.

Ah well.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Thanks everyone for doing it, and for the generous feedback. Some interesting points that I will take into account.

Has your survey been approved by your supervisor and where is the PIS?

It has been approved by my supervisor, and we decided the disclaimer I included was sufficient for a simple questionnaire.

Done. Why is Scotland separate from the UK but Wales, England and NI are lumped together a 'Rest of the UK'.

This is just because of the respondents I expect to get, naturally a lot of people it reaches will be in Scotland so I just wanted to separate that from the rest of the UK, I can see why it seems strange though.

• Glyn16 said:

Thanks everyone for doing it, and for the generous feedback. Some interesting points that I will take into account.

Has your survey been approved by your supervisor and where is the PIS?

It has been approved by my supervisor, and we decided the disclaimer I included was sufficient for a simple questionnaire.

This is just because of the respondents I expect to get, naturally a lot of people it reaches will be in Scotland so I just wanted to separate that from the rest of the UK, I can see why it seems strange though.

It's only strange if you expected NI to be in the "rest of Europe" category.

I think a lot of these surveys are criticised because you don't know what they are really trying to find out. Or because there is nothing you can possibly design that anyone would need based on the question, "do you ever think you would benefit from an inner tube with an integrated bike light product?" (Rather telegraphing the misconceived product that's already been designed).

This one was okay though. Something to do with hypothesised motivations of MAMAILs who will return to golf in a couple of years. Just a guess.
  • elbowloh
    I think its more about the motivations wanting to cycle and how much showing off on social media (strava in particular) influences this.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    edited September 2021
    Glyn16 said:

Thanks everyone for doing it, and for the generous feedback. Some interesting points that I will take into account.

I still don't understand this statement, why do you expect it to reach more people in Scotland that in either England, Wales or NI?. I'm not aware that a majority of UK based forum members are from Scotland or that the survey is aimed more a people who live in Scotland. Without my providing any evidence I would expect the majority of forum members would be English.....ONLY because the population of England is the largest of the 4 UK nations.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • elbowloh said:

I think its more about the motivations wanting to cycle and how much showing off on social media (strava in particular) influences this.

This is essentially it, as it is a geography study I have to incorporate some of that so it is about the motivations and generally whether Strava/online recognition is more important now than a nice day out riding, which is inherently a 'geographical' activity.

Glyn16 said:

I still don't understand this statement, why do you expect it to reach more people in Scotland that in either England, Wales or NI?. I'm not aware that a majority of UK based forum members are from Scotland or that the survey is aimed more a people who live in Scotland. Without my providing any evidence I would expect the majority of forum members would be English.....ONLY because the population of England is the largest of the 4 UK nations.

You're right, in terms of forums I'm sure there will be no bias towards Scotland, and the survey isn't aimed at Scottish people either, but I don't personally know many people to send it to from other parts of the UK, whereas I have shared it around many local cycling contacts here and people they know etc, so almost all those responses should be Scottish. In that sense it is true that I split it more out of interest than anything else, as there is no reason why Scottish responses should be different to the rest of the UK, but I can easily combine the two categories afterwards to get the full 'UK wide' figure.
  • elbowloh
    Don't worry about it Glyn. Good luck with your dissertation.

People on here are generally pretty helpful, so if you do have any further questions down the line, don't hesitate to ask!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk