Rate the vuelta 2021

2»

Comments

• gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,753
    I enjoyed some of the stages as guys that I enjoy watching performed very well like Storer, Bardet and Mäder.

That image of Champoussin from S20 will live in the memory for a while and I enjoyed seeing the finish in Santiago de Compostela.

However, as others have rightly said, there was no GC suspense at all and that should be the main part of a Grand Tour’s narrative.

The scheduling of the most interesting stages was a bit strange and the first week seemed to last a long time as they rolled through the middle of nowhere with little atmosphere being felt. CK dominating the commentary booth was also an unwelcome feature.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,085
    edited September 2021

Some good days of racing, but never any doubt about the overall, ...

Well, given Roglics' propensity to crash, was it?

The TdF was a done deal very early. I am also not a mad fan of sprint finishes and although Cav's Merckx equalling record and his return to top form made them vaguely more interesting, they mainly bore me to shreds.
    However, it was great to see Jakobsen's return and wondering throughout the race if he could make it inside the time cuts. If that was Cav, the commentators would have put more emphasis on that possibility. But because they didn't, that doesn't diminish his achievement. I'm also glad Hatch wasn't present,. The guy needs marijuana or summat.

Thankfully, the Vuelta didn't have many sprint finishes and there was some good breakaways, there wasn't quite such a mad first week that makes Le Tour a lottery for many.
    Stage 19: I Don't think I have ever seen such a cohesive breakaway group. Not seen a breakaway hold off the peloton for such a long period with such a narrow margin.
    Chapeau pour Le Lawson du Craddock who was the architect.
    He did some hefty pulls on the front.

No team seemed to be in control of this years Vuelta making the racing aggressive from the get go - every stage, every day seemingly.

You cannot blame photography as a contributing factor when deciding if the race is any good - as if the commentators are responsible for that or ES for that matter.

Landa stepped off causing controversy after attacking earlier on (?!) but I think the retirement of Lopez on the penultimate stage was so unprofessional - all part of the drama. In amongst all the Movistar cinematic dramatics, Mas was exemplary. Roglic slid out on a bend after a rush of blood, attacking at a point that seemed futile (and dangerous). I honestly don't know why he went with Bernal when his team could have assisted him on the valley floor and pulled Bernal back quite easily, then Roglic could have counter attacked and probably would have been fresher and taken more time out of Bernal and his rivals. Again, some strange tactics from someone so strong; a suggestion that there was a bit of panic in him and given his bad luck, unsurprising.

The TdF had all sorts of grown men bubbling up in sentiment on camera to a point that was nauseating whereas this years Vuelta highlighted all sorts of characters and personalities.
    And that left you clear about the individuals you were endeared to and those you weren't.
    MCN was a revelation and being caught up that steep climb and getting so close was heartbreak but he bounced back and no one in their right mind could have grudged him the follow up victory or failed to smile. Again, part of the 'story' that gave the Vuelta a rich fabric that other tours have lacked.

The stages were brutal, the heat must have been so draining and oppressive, the scenery was stunning and there was attacking galore. Great tour. Loved it.

Oh and - Senor Valverde - Por favor: Jubilado para ti. Proxima.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I’ve had a vote for La Vuelta a España 2021 as I enjoyed it (if I didn’t I wouldn’t have watched it).

It was a vote for the race/routes
    not the camera work
    not the coverage/directors choices
    not the commentary
    not the adverts

:)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137

I’ve had a vote for La Vuelta a España 2021 as I enjoyed it (if I didn’t I wouldn’t have watched it).

not the camera work
    not the commentary
    not the adverts

But the majority of the racing was poor too.
  • I’ve had a vote for La Vuelta a España 2021 as I enjoyed it (if I didn’t I wouldn’t have watched it).

How did you know you would enjoy it before watching it?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,958
    Pross said:

I’ve had a vote for La Vuelta a España 2021 as I enjoyed it (if I didn’t I wouldn’t have watched it).

not the camera work
    not the commentary
    not the adverts

The counter argument would be that it was if you only focus on GC.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

not the camera work
    not the commentary
    not the adverts

Not really, it wasn't exactly rammed with good stages either.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,958
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

not the camera work
    not the commentary
    not the adverts

Not really, it wasn't exactly rammed with good stages either.
    Different opinions, different scores.
    Bet you'll watch next years anyway. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.